Green Zebra + Alt Comp

Alternative composition:

I didn’t remember the extra bits at the bottom. I would remove those to make it cleaner. I’m not sure if I had any others, because these are the only two I exported.

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This was taken at a botanic garden. I was really drawn to these enormous leaves with their velvety texture and shades of green. I think for me this was about the striking “stripes” and shades of green.

Specific Feedback

Any

Technical Details

I don’t have time to look up the details at the moment, but I will try to add them later. I’m quite sure this was taken with a Lensbaby and close up filters. Just general edits.

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:
1 Like

Oooh this is neat, Karla! Hard to tell scale, but the smooth, silky texture invites fingers to linger. Such great markings, too. I can see why you were attracted to them. The long orientation works nicely to offset and somehow underscore the lines in the leaves themselves, especially those strong diagonals throughout. I’m not 100% sold on the dark kite-shape in the top right, but arranging leaves like this can be difficult. Curious to see other compositions you made if you have any (which I bet you do!)

Karla: Well seen and an interesting capture. I was wondering what special lens/processing technique you used to account for the different areas that are sharp vs OOF. Vibrant and dynamic shot. >=))>

@Bill_Fach Thanks for your comments! I was playing with some Lensbaby lenses that day, so that would be the reason for the focus attributes. I think it may have been a sweet effect lens; but I am very bad and taking notes and without any EXIF data, I’m not sure.

@Kris_Smith The leaves were quite large, but it’s true there is nothing for scale. I have a straight composition as an alternative to the diagonal. I’ll see if I can add that as a second image in the post. I did wonder if the black spot would be bothersome. Thanks for your comments!

Karla, the angled view feels much more dynamic than the vertical. The brightness along the bottom and top add nicely to that dynamic sense in the viewing.

@Mark_Seaver I prefer the diagonal also. Thanks for your comments!