Gull in Fog

Every morning I take my dog on a walk around Mission Bay here in San Diego. On this particular morning I could see it was really foggy and decided to bring my camera to see if I could come up with anything interesting to shoot. I saw this lonely seagull sitting atop on of the buoys and thought it made for a great minimalistic scene.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any is welcome

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any is welcome

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
3 Likes

Love it, Andrew. Perfect placement in the frame.

Max

1 Like

Andrew: Terrific find, comp and capture. Many kudos. >=))>

1 Like

Looks great, Andrew. The gull and buoy stand out well. I also like how subtle the sea/sky transition is.

1 Like

Definitely minimal, and I agree that the placement of the gull in the frame is perfect. The super subtle horizon line is great.

1 Like

Agree with the above comments. Tremendous shot. For me there is a very slight tension (favorable) between the subtle horizon and the head of the gull. This is just great.

1 Like

Wonderful. There’s not much more I can add to what has been said except it elicits a strong feeling of solitude and quietude and therefore keeps bringing me back to look again. Minimalist to the max!

1 Like

Nice work man. I really like all the negative space. I kind of wish I could have the same early morning schedule you have when the fog bank is moving in.

1 Like

@Max_Waugh @Bill_Fach @Mark_Seaver @Bonnie_Lampley @Jim_McGovern @Kerry_Gordon @Dustin_Waits Thanks all for the feedback, I appreciate it as always. I debated making the horizon line a little stronger but decided against it to keep a softer tone to the image and the focus on the gull and buoy.