Hackberry Emporer ( Asterocampa celtis)

A fairly common butterfly in the eastern U.S., so named because it’s only host plant is the Hackberry tree. Can be difficult to photograph as they often stay high in the canopy except when a male is searching for females. I caught this guy on the trunk of a Hackberry at about eye level.

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Canon 60D, Canon 70-300mm IS USM Zoom @ 180mm, f/11, 1/500 sec., ISO 1000, Ev -0.5 step, Hand Held. Processed for light and color in Canon DPP and PSE 12.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

Terry, I don’t think I am familiar with either the BF or the tree. I like the angle in which you captured him, as he seems to be parallel with the lines in the bark. It looks like you were working in pretty harsh light, given the shadows, but you managed it well with no blowouts. I tried to view closer in on him, and only get the first enlargement, which isn’t too much larger that presented here. It looks like everything is sharp all the way in both the BF and the bark. Nicely done.

Terry: Nice job in tough light. I like the pose and orientation of the butterfly on the tree. Good find and a fine capture. >=))>

Thanks to you both @Shirley_Freeman and @Bill_Fach. You’re entirely correct I was working in harsh light. Unfortunately, that tends to be the primary time these butterflies are most active. I appreciate all your observations and comments.

1 Like

Hi Terry, really like the open wing pattern you captured and the banded antennae. The butterfly looks rather soft to me in the larger image. Still a fine capture on the tree bark.

Thanks, Allen. It may be a tad soft. I was shooting in pretty harsh conditions, trying to get it all right and still catch the butterfly in time!

Terry, the Hackberry is a long time friend that I don’t see very often because we don’t have a lot of Hackberry trees here in MD. Getting the wings open like this is good and it’s colors show well here. I agree with Allen that it looks just a hair soft, but then so does the tree bark suggesting camera motion. However that would be a surprise at 1/500 s… :confused:

As you probably know, Mark, Hackberries are like weeds here in NE Oklahoma! Good for wildlife, though. Yeah, 1/500 might be a bit slow for shaky, older hands! :blush: Thanks for your comments.