Heceta Sunset

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

One of my goals on my Oregon coast trip was to shoot the Heceta Head lighthouse from this perspective to get the keepers house and the bridge in the BG. I have loved this light ever since I was a little kid visiting my grandmother up the coast a few miles in Yachats. On my first evening there the light was really nice and the seas were active. It was a little windy but the drone handled the conditions well. I tried to time the exposure for when one of the fresnel lenses was aimed right at the camera. All comments welcome. >=))>

Technical Details

DJI Mini 3 Pro
ISO 130, 1/15 sec @ f1.7, 32 ND CPL

1 Like

Nice composition for this scenic image. The warm upper works well with the cool lower. The bright lighthouse really stands out in this image. There’s no question about the point of focus in this image. When you look at this you see how well contructed this image is from bottom to top.

This is a very cool perspective of the lighthouse and I think you pretty much nailed the composition. Everything that’s in the image makes sense and nothing is distracting or competing with the focal point. Really well done.

Well that makes me want to get a drone and play with it…

It’s so cool to see a different perspective of Heceta. The roadside views are wonderful, but it’s refreshing to see it from a different angle. I’m curious how far you had to fly the drone. Were you parked on 101?

As noted, the composition is excellent, and if you wanted a 4x5 format for any reason you could crop off the bottom and also have a nice image. I especially enjoy the little details to explore, including the subtle color in the distant clouds, the thin veil of fog on the far shore, and the cluster of birds below the lighthouse.

John: If you blow the image up you may see a guy with a red jacket leaning on the fence at the cliff face. That would be me so it was only a couple hundred meters away. However on this shot the drone was a little over 4 kilometers from my controller and I still had a full strength signal. With an unobstructed sight line the manufacturer claims over a 10 kilometer range but I’ve gone no further than the 4 Km flight. I confess I had a few anxious moments flying it that far away over water but it performed flawlessly. I held off buying a drone for a long time since you can’t fly them in national parks but in Oregon there were few restrictions in the state parks except for areas that were designated as bird sanctuaries and even some of them were restricted only in nesting season in the spring. I can give a full 5 star rating to the Mini 3 Pro but the new Mini 4 Pro is even better, not enough to justify upgrading for me but if I had to start new the Mini 4 Pro would be an obvious choice. >=))>

1 Like

Wonderful drone image, Bill. This is atake on the lighthouse that I’ve never seen before. The warm afternoon light is tremendous and your composition is right on target. When i fly my drone I am always worried when I’m more than a couple of miles away particularly over an area where you can’t recover it. I fly the mavic pro 2 and the bettery life is about 22-25 minutes so flying more than a couple of miles worries me.
This image was certainly worth ut though, Bill. Beauty!

What a great view!! I love the wide angle here, with that wonderful foot reaching out into the water. The view down the coast to the bridge and hill balances the lighthouse so well.

This takes selfies to a whole new level. The idea of a drone keeps gnawing away at me. Sooner or later I may have to give in.

@Bill_Fach, drones open up a whole new range of photo ops, and you certainly took advantage of that here. Very nice! I love the vertical frame, how you show the sea roiling at the bottom of the frame, the light from the Fresnel lens, and the seabirds on the rock. The late afternoon light is also very nice. The sky looks a little bland for me, and I would consider brightening up the bottom left hand corner just a wee bit. Maybe increase the contrast and vibrance just a bit. But these are minor nitpicks. I acquired my first drone this year, a DJI Mavic 3 Classic, which has been a lot of fun but also a steep learning curve. The heavier weight does make it more stable in windy conditions, but like you I’m always a little nervous over the water or when I can’t see it very well.

Makes me think, someday I might want a drone. Wonderful image.