Home Sweet Home

Sony A77II
Sony 70-400G-II @ 160mm, 12mm XT
ISO 400, 1/160 @ f11
One of our more prolific and consistent bloomers this year about ten feet out the front door. All comments welcome. >=))>

Bill, it is absolutely gorgeous. Compliments to the gardener, as well as to you for this shot. I like how you captured it level from the side, rather than face on, as we usually see this beautiful flower portrayed. Just pleasing to the eye.

I agree with Shirley’s comment concerning a little different perspective on this magnificent flower. A fine photo, technically speaking.

Gorgeous Bill, as both @Shirley_Freeman and @terryb have said. . .but I’ve got a question. Did you chose to use your Sony 70-400 @160mm because you’d get more detail at that angle? As opposed to using your macro lens?? Just wondering. Thanks. Truly wonderful image.

Linda: I used the 70-400 for its zooming capability. Because of some intervening tree branches I had to position the camera in a fairly restricted spot. I had to also use an extension tube to get a close enough focus (forgot to mention that in the specs). I generally don’t like using tubes on a zoom but this was the only way to make the comp that I wanted.

1 Like

Great, thanks Bill . . . good to know.

Drop dead gorgeous! Wonderful unexpected angle and amazing DOF. Colors and tonalities are simply beautiful! The blues in the center are a wonderful counterpoint to the reds.

Hi Bill,

I think that you nailed the shot. I like the transition in color of the flower petals. There might be a slight blue cast to the leaves, but my guess is that you were shooting in a very shady spot (sounds like you were in skid row–try shaded spot instead :). Well done…Jim

1 Like

Bill, the details, especially the stamen and pistil stand out beautifully. The background has a fine “sparkly” feeling. In my experience, adding extension to a zoom works fine until you’ve added extension that exceeds roughly half of the focal length.