In the Weeds

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

American Bittern (Botaurus lintiginosus)

I took this in October but have been sitting on it for a while. I like the comp, but the greens just seemed too electric for me (I know me and color)…anyway I recently reprocessed it with some new tools that help me see the colors and I was able to tone down the greens quite a bit.

Specific Feedback

Any comments appreciated. How do the greens look? Realistic?

Technical Details

600mm, 1/500sec @ f/8, ISO 6400

The greens look fine to me, David. That bittern sure picked the wrong vegetation for camouflage, the greens really do a nice job of framing the bird an making it pop.

Good work on the greens David. They really frame the bittern nicely, and you’ve got great detailing in the feathers of the bird as well. Nice clean, clear look at this, usually tough to spot bird.

@Dennis_Plank and @Ed_Williams thank you for the great comments. I truly appreciate them.

What a beauty! Stealthy and still, that’s what I get from this. The greens look terrific and that color contrast is classic. Also great is the light - I love it when it’s diffuse, but still produces some shadows for contour and depth. Fantastic work. There are a few bright leaves on the edges that could be cropped, darkened or cloned if you had a mind.

Kris, thanks for your comments and suggestions. I had dialed down those bright leaves, but I’ll take another run at it. Thanks again.