It's Red...I'm Not Familiar With My Flowers

What technical feedback would you like if any? ANY/ALL

What artistic feedback would you like if any? ANY/ALL

Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XT

1/160th, f/10, ISO 100, 44mm

Thanks in advance for looking and hopefully leaving your thoughts!

Jim
Louisville

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Jim

I believe this is a Gerbera Daisy.

Its also a very nice photo! My only suggestion would be to clone in some green into those lighter, colorless areas in the right upper corner and the left lower corner.

Best
Kathy

Really nice image!
Easier than cloning would be to use the “Content-Aware” tool - put a loop around the area with the lasso tool,
, hit the content-aware tool, go to “Edit” and then “Fill”

Much Easier than cloning, healing, blending, etc
POOF ! Gone!

Sandy: What does the “Content Aware” tool look like and where do they hide it? I didn’t know there was a separate tool for it.

A very nice composition and a beautiful flower, Jim. Most of the background except the really light gray spot in that upper right corner works for me.

Hi Dennis. The content-aware tool question: Pull image up into PS. Hit lasso tool (3rd down on icon list in CS5), circle trouble area or area you want replaced, right click, hit fill and another screen will appear and you hit content aware. Some times it works perfectly others you have to circle a little differently or a smaller area at a time. I always use the history tool so I can just back up one step if I don’t like the result and try again.

Pat B.

Hi Jim. Nice subject, perspective and detail. You’ve also contained the reds so they don’t “bleed”. Well done.

Thanks, Patricia. I’ll give it a try next time.

The content aware tool that Pat described here is the old one that has many issues. There is a new one in Photoshop CC 2019 that is far superior. To use it, use a selection tool like the lasso or any tool appropriate for the job, then click the Edit Menu, then Content Aware Fill… This will bring up a window that shows you two parts. On the left half is the source image. On the right half will show the preview of the Content aware fill. There will be a green overlay on the left side. That green overlay represents the Sampling Area for photoshop to use to fill the selected area. If you don’t want parts of that used, use the brush tool that is pre-selected from the upper left part of that window to brush away any areas you don’t want PS to sample from. This new tool is so superior to the old one that I’d never recommend the old one.

1 Like

Thanks, Keith.

Love the light on this, Jim - looks like quite strong sun but you’ve got the reds beautifully without blowing them out.

Jim: Definitely a gerbera and a good one. I like your comp and the light especially. Nicely done. >=))>

Thank you Bill. I appreciate your critique!

Jim

Glad I looked in on this! Thanks Keith. That’s a cracker jack method. Jim, your Gerbera daisy is a good one. The reds are controlled, the DOF is just right and your POV really brings out the depth of the flower. If you use PS, and have PS 2019, Keith’s hack is an excellent process for smoothing out a background.