Lawrence 's Goldfinch

This goldfinch, which is very similar to the Lesser Goldfinch, thrives primarily in Southern California and southern Arizona. On rare occasions it may make its way to the Bay Area but never above that. I was very fortunate to experience an irruption of the species in Southern California last month. At my viewing location, there were at least 50 or more Lawrence’s and Lesser Goldfinches.

Specific Feedback Requested

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
ISO 500, 400+ 2X, F6 .3, 2500th, handheld, 34% of full frame

Very pretty frame. The color palette is just great. Nice to get such a good look at this handsome bird.

Hi David, a lovely capture with critical focus spot on. Nice diagonal perch with the lichen. Great background. A fine result here - your settings are what I would more often use for birds in flight.

Nice catch on the Lawrence, David. Good vertical format with the diagonal branch/twig /moss everything is spot on. I found a few of these goldfinches in February in a wilderness park in So Cal and I had not seen them there in the last 20 years. But could see good flocks in the arid areas East of the Sierra .

Very cool, David. I’ve never encountered one of these. A nice composition and excellent pose and detail.

I like the composition and the colors are all working well together. Excellent detail; nice to get an uncommon species pose so courteously for you.

Perfect pose and he chose the perfect perch (or you did…)! The BG is wonderful – well done!

One of North America’s best looking gold finches and you captured this one perfectly. The yellow and gray colors provide some pop. Good capture and a wonderful photo…Jim

Super shot of this species David, the lichens go great with it’s plumage. Congrats on the pick!

Gorgeous bird beautifully rendered. Excellent perch, as well. Nicely done.

Beautiful colours on this bird and a super shot of it.