Light-tastic (slot canyon)

Yea, those who have shot slot canyons know how challenging they can be conveying the light as one intended. Depending on the time of day, one may have side-lighting, front-lighting, defused lighting, etc. I had it all for this particular scene and tried to convey this “light show” the best I know how. Not sure I pulled it off or not, thus, the reason I’m posting.

This was a three image stack to capture sharpness and depth. I definitely used luminosity masking to bring out light where I thought it needed a boost. Shadows are always tricky, but I did want them fairly dark as they were, but not have the blacks blotchy. I realize critiquing shadows is difficult based on many factors, particularly if one is on a calibrated monitor or not. That said, I don’t care what device you are using, how are those shadows looking to ya?

Anywho, any comments or critiques welcome.
Cheers

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Ken: The shadows look great to me. I can see some detail in them in the large version especially. This is a beautiful scene superbly captured and presented. If you don’t mind my asking, where was this? My only slot canyon experience was on a very rushed tour of Antelope and Owl Canyons outside Page, AZ. Due to crowds and schedule limitations it was not a particularly satisfying day. I got a few good images but I’m methodical and like to examine things before tripping the shutter. I’d love to find a spot without all the commercial constraints. >=))>

1 Like

Bill, that’s for your critique! Yea, it is getting unbearable to shoot in most of the slot canyons these days. This was in Secret Canyon. Not as dramatic as other slots in the area, but they give “photographers” free rein to shoot independently of the tourist group.

Ken: Thanks for the quick response. This looks pretty darn dramatic to me!

1 Like

Wow, that color is intense! Ken, I admire your care in setting this up. You really found a pretty cool sweet spot on how you framed this. There are so many slot images that are framed in a somewhat random or confusing manner, so particularly nice that the canyon floor keeps it from being totally abstract, such that it’s clear what the path is through the slot which snaps me back to reality.

1 Like

Talk about impact! This really sets the bar for color intensity, texture, and lines. What a beautiful metallic print this would make. Have no suggestions to improve, like it as is.

1 Like

Those are wonderfully twists and turns Ken. On my monitor, the shadows look just right; I think you nailed that. That’s a real explosion of color; I actually prefer it slightly less saturated.

1 Like

Ken, this is a beauty! I echo the “explosion of color” sentiment offered by John. The shadows are showing nice detail on my calibrated monitor as well. I have not shot in the slots and have avoided them because of the crowds. This scene sure does inspire me to give them a try! Great work!

1 Like

Thanks for the kinds words! Yea, I’ve printed another vibrant slot image on acyclic and its outstanding. Oranges and reds just seem to print better than other colors for me.
Cheers!

The shadows along with everything else look fantastic to me! The larger image is amazing.

1 Like

This has turned out very nicely indeed. I love the sense of movement that your composition suggests. The light adds to this effect and I get the impression that the rocks are dancing.

Excellent work Ken!

1 Like

Ken,

Simply gorgeous. I love the dappled, reflected, bouncing light… light, light, light. It’s all about the light. Fabulous job framing and processing this one. Yeah, we’ve seen lots of slot canyon images over the years, but I never tire of them. Beautiful work.

Lon

1 Like

This is an exceptionally well done slot canyon image. Nicely balanced composition and wonderful dappled light. Processing looks real good - you did a masterful job of taming the dynamic range.

1 Like