Little River in the Blue Hour

I looked at this image and found it was taken around 6am. Early April in the Smokies, especially in the valleys have yet see the sun. I shot a bunch of this series and thought the simplicity of comp and limited palette made them work. I have several where stronger contrast made them more defined, but I preferred the relaxed mood in this one. A faster shutter speed might have looked better, but guess I chose the small aperture for more uniform DOF.

E-5, Zuiko 14-54 (40), ISO 100 1/2sec f/16 0.0EV

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

A lovely and peaceful abstract, Bill. This would be great as a large print in a high stress area like a medical office of some kind.

(This made me think of the Deep Purple song,) Smoke On Water. Really simple, and yet very peaceful.

I think this is perfect as presented, Bill. Simple yet beautiful. SS, color, comp , all awesome.
:vulcan_salute:

Very simple and very nicely done. The blue theme works well with this one, creating a very tranquil mood.

Hey Bill,

Your choices in this created a truly enigmatic image for me. And that’s a good thing! Due to the forms and especially the color, this could just as well be clouds as water. I’m sure we’re all familiar with streaking clouds like that in the right conditions, and they’ve reached out to me as much as moving water. As I view this my mind puzzles with the question of “abstract or not?” It’s a difficult creative line to ride, and I think this manages it well. Art is at its best in my view when it stirs reactions and questions in viewers, and this accomplishes that in a way I haven’t seen before. My hat is off to you! :+1:

Less is more sometimes Bill and I think this falls in that category rather nicely. The simplicity with the lines and the blue tones make for a relaxing scene. This works well for me as is; beautifully done.

Bill, this has me humming those “moving water blues”. :grinning: It’s a lovely relaxing abstract. I think this ss is just right as there are shapes in the water even as you’ve got a strong sense of flow.

Bill,

This is gorgeous! Love it. These just keep getting better - it’s a bummer WC 888 is now over! If you have more please post in Landscape!

Love everything here, no complaints or suggestions.

Lon

Bill: I really like this image. Such an interesting abstract of the water. Wonderful choice of shutter speed and a simple composition to make it all work. Nice.