Virgin River in Motion

Sorry that I can’t compete with all the nice waterfalls, so here’s something more “laid back” though, from Zion a few years back. I prefer setting the shutter speed to get some water detail, while factoring in distance away, focal length and velocity. As I recall this was very close to the Narrows, late morning in mid May. Since it’s been a few years, I don’t remember what caused the greens in the reflection. Cottonwoods I suppose?

E-5, Zuiko 50-200 @65, ISO 100, 1/4 sec f/22, 0.0EV

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Very artistic, and I mean that in a good way. I think the shutter speed you picked did much to give it an impressionistic look. The composition is solid.

My guess is that the greens are not reflections but green algae below the surface. Attached to rocks and being ‘stretched’ but the current. I say that because this is how it looks to a flyfisherman in some rivers when searching for trout.

I don’t know what to suggest. You have a nice vertical on the left as well.

1 Like

Igor, I’m being perfectly honest by saying that algae was actually my first guess, but didn’t want to sound foolish. :crazy_face: And that shade of green is consistent with that.

This turned out quite nice IMO, Bill. I particularly like the graceful undulations of colors in the water along with the details you captured with your chosen SS. Great eye to spot this intimate waterscape.

What really catches my eyes here, Bill, is that small section on the LL corner where the water turns glassy. I thought it makes a very interesting contrast but I don’t know if having it on the corner actually adds to the image. If it were mine, I would probably layer in something there to make it more similar in texture to everything else in the frame.

I really like your choice of shutter speed for this image, Bill. The flow really comes through.

Nice, Bill. My guess also would be algae. Don’t know for sure what it is, but in my opinion it really makes the image successful.
:vulcan_salute:

Bill: I love the soft color palette and the motion provided by your SS choice. Most excellent.>=))>

Bill,

Lovely stream intimate. You’ve capture the color and the little waves beautifully. The undulating patterns of the soft waves and colors are very calming.

Unsure about the sharp detail on the exposed rock LLC - Actually, I’m favoring it as a resting point and reality check for the eye.

Excellent as presented. Oh, Mr. Nitpicky found a couple dust bunnies! Oh no. middle UL quadrant.

Lon

Lon, interesting mentioned that rock, because I believe it was the same area that @Adhika_Lie mentioned earlier, but for a different reason. And Adhika, sorry but I don’t quite understand. However I guess the concept is the same: a hair more uniformity, which I’ll probably work on.

These are the areas that I had in mind, Bill.

Bill, this is a nicely artistic abstract. The mixed areas of green (I go with algae also) are scattered well and offset nicely by the touches of white water. The two rocks add an intriguing touch of “reality”. Well seen.

Hey gang, I really appreciate the input on this one and the others. I’ve shot in GSMNP a few times, but only been to Zion twice, the first being in 2001 during the film days with my OM-1, so things have changed for me since then.

@Adhika_Lie, you had a good suggestion. I tried a fix it but guess I lack the PS skill and it didn’t look right.

I must forewarn y’all that I have collected several hundred of these moving water images, mostly with an eye toward the abstract. So not wanting to wear out my welcome I’ll give it a rest for now. Much thanks to all again.

Bill,

I know that you are giving this a rest but I thought I might give you some ideas about how I would approach this when I encounter similar situations… On a blank layer, I cloned the area just a little above and to the right of the areas I circled before and then reduce the opacity to taste.