Long Tailed Silky Flycatcher &RP

Fascinating plumage colors on this Flycatcher. Wish I had one with a better head turn but this pose does a good job of showing off the crown. Cloudy and raining. Rain drops cloned away.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques: iso 2000, 300mm PF, f8, 1000th, D500,handheld, no flash, 70% full frame, minimal sharpening wth TK action at 10%

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Great looking bird. While the head turn isn’t ideal, as you noted, it does show off the crown. The smaller version looks a bit crunchy and when I click on the image to see a larger version it looks even harsher. I noted you had the TK sharpening at 10% so I don’t think that is the issue. There seems to be something else prior to this point in the processing.

Hi David,
I like the colors and the crown is nicely shown as you say. Too bad about the head turn but it is still an interesting image. Nice background and perch.

Here is reprocessed version using Topaz DeNoise AI on BG only. TK sharpening at 10%. The offending issue was Topaz AI Clear which generally at the lowest settings does a goo job on plumage. However, as I am discovering, it has a tendency to make things crunchy. I think this looks much better.

@David_Schoen - agree this one looks much better than the original. Glad you were able to find the culprit.

Very nice despite the turned away head, David. Detail and colors are great. Wonderful perch it chose as well. Hadn’t noticed the repost when I first commented. A vast improvement.

Interesting pose even with the less than ideal head angle, David. The colors pop out nicely in the background and light. The repost looks better. Very eye-catching, almost warbler like, combination of colors.