Louisiana Iris

Louisiana Irises (and I hope I’m right on the name) always remind me first of college football, because the colors of LSU are purple and gold, and LSU is in the SEC just like the Florida Gators, which is my team. :slight_smile: So I have a special place in my heart for Louisiana Irises.

Specific Feedback Requested

Two things that I still struggle a bit with for flowers are brightness and color/shade. There’s a lot of personal preference in there, and a lot of “Louisiana Irises come in a lot of different shades” in there. Sometimes I take photos also with my cell phone in order to try to get a better representation of the color than my DSLR gives. One thing I do know is most of the time things do not come out of my DSLR as they really were. So my specific question here is how does the brightness and color/shade look here to you? Any other feedback is welcome.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon EOS 7D Mark II
EF100-400mm f/45.5.6L IS II USM + 1.4x III
1/60 sec at f/8
0 EV
No flash
Pattern metering
Aperture priority
ISO 100
338mm

@barbjgraham
1 Like

I think the colors are lovely. In Photoshop you could brighten the center area and front petal selectively. The background is a pleasing color. The ULC does have a bright spot that could be darkened. If this image was cropped, you could give a little more space around the flower, especially on the bottom edge. This is a beautiful shot from the garden!

Thank you so much for the ideas!

Barbara, beautiful flower, well captured. I agree with Ann Louise on brightening some parts. The colors on the darker side look a little more saturated for my eyes. The greens also look a little too saturated. A slight desaturation can bring out the tones much better. You have handled the dof extremely well for such a 3 dimensional flower.

Thank you very much, Ravi!

Barbara: Like you’ve noted Louisiana Iris come in many different color variations so looking at this image alone its tough to judge. I find that for the most part when I use auto WB I get good results but occasionally when I look through my viewfinder what I see there doesn’t match what I see with my own eyes so I’ll adjust accordingly in the field. This is an advantage of a good EVF. I’m unfamiliar with Canon cameras but if yours has an optical viewfinder but also live view you might look at the live view to see how it is rendered. Regardless of those considerations this is a fine image. I like the BG especially as a complement to the flower. Nicely done. >=))>

Thank you very much, Bill!