Low Contrast Dahlia

It’s hard to come up with a low contrast image in my collection…not sure why. Anyway, here’s a Dahlia closeup from 2011. Shot at f/1.2 it came out like this…

Specific Feedback Requested

Any…

Technical Details

Canon EOS-1D IV, EF 85mm f/1.2, 1/640 sec @ f/1.2, ISO 100, Tripod, + extension tubes to get close.

2 Likes

I hear you about finding low-contrast. I guess, like you, I’m hooked on high contrast! You found a lovely one in this dahlia, especially the focus/out of focus and, of course, the colors.

David,

Not much to say really… except, GORGEOUS! Very impressive capture. And this goes to show, and another great example of low contrast photography, but also how extremely effective shooting wide open is, allowing just about everything to go soft… excellent use of the tools and knowledge.

Beautifully captured and presented. No nits or suggestions.

Lon

David, this is warm, inviting and dreamy, with the dreamy being the best part. Definitely an “art photo”.

A real beauty, David. I’m enjoying this very much. At f1.2 you really do get the dreamy look. Nice colors to work with too. Well done.

Thank you @JohnSnell, @Lon_Overacker, @Mark_Seaver, and @Shirley_Freeman for the nice comments. Of all the Canon lenses I’ve had over the years, I miss the 85mm f/1.2 the most. It was a magical lens. I wonder if I should try adapting one to the Fujifilm medium format camera?

Anyway, thanks again.

Cheers,
David

1 Like

Gorgeous!! All said above – low contrast plus shallow DOF work together so well!!

@David_Bostock The color is beautiful in this image. I am partial to yellow, although most any color in a flower makes me happy. :slight_smile: I really like to play with the dreamy look with flowers, so I definitely identify with this one.

1 Like