Otherworldly Closeup

I’ve wondered about posting this image for a long, long time. I took it way back in the early days of digital–2002. I was messing around with a new to me Canon 100macro lens and some store bought lilies. This is shot with a studio light behind, which brings out the luminosity and otherworldly feel; at least to me.

Specific Feedback Requested

Really curious what people think of this one. It’s always been one of my favorites, but I get that it’s completely different.

Technical Details

Canon EOS D60 (really), EF 100 Macro, possibly some extension tubes too, 5 seconds @ f/22, ISO 100.

Recently reprocessed in Capture One–Levels, + Brightness, - Highlights, + Shadows, + Luma curves, + Clarity, + Structure, and a touch of vignette. OH, and Diffraction Correction.

6 Likes

I like this, David. It does have an otherworldly feel to it. I like the lighting too. Amazing the quality considering from way back 20 years ago in the digital camaras.

1 Like

What I like best about this is the bubbly section in the LLC. It looks like the Thing could erupt at any moment! And the luminous colours are breath-taking. Did your recent re-processing make a big difference from the original?

1 Like

Exactly, David. It was my first thought. The overall detail is stunning for such an exaggerated closeup/macro view. Gorgeous colors too… :sunglasses:

1 Like

FEED ME, Seymour! Love it, color, bumps and prickles, a fun and engaging image.

Stunning, David. Love it!

I think it’s a cool brain teaser! Because it kind of looks like an underwater shot. Also the two petals? in the foreground also look like some kind of bugs. Even though I know it’s a flower but I still keep having to take second and third and fourth looks! Great seeing, David!

Thank you @Shirley_Freeman, @Mike_Friel, @Paul_Breitkreuz, @JohnSnell, @linda_mellor , and @Vanessa_Hill for the kind comments. It was fun. Mike, the reprocessing in today’s tech brought out more richness in the colors and sharper with the diffraction correction.

Here’s a wider shot of the same flower for comparisons:

5 Likes

David, the mix of colors and shapes is quite dramatic. I’m very attracted to the eye flow that the angled stamen create.

I like this image. Nice color combination and great textures. It makes me think it could be something in the ocean.

1 Like

Amazing color, textures, and forms. Did you take this on Venus?

1 Like

Super look at the details to be found in this flower! Sometimes these old cameras did a pretty good job. Reprocessing is definitely always better, for me, though.

1 Like