MacGillivray's Warbler & RP

At least I think that’s what it is. This was taken this morning in the shade. Apparently it has been spending some time in my neighborhood.

My guess is that this is a juvenile female.

According to Sibley, its range could put it in northwestern Washington state.

The deciduous trees in the area are starting to turn color and in the morning they exude a yellow cast. My concern about this image is that it might be to yellow even though I cut back yellow saturation. Any other or suggestions to improve this image. This was taken around 8 am , well before the sun got to this perch.

Iso-800, 200-500 at 500 mm, F8, 640th, D 500, tripod, no flash, 60% of full frame, DxO photo lab, Adobe camera raw 10.5 Topaz adjust, TK sharpening action at 30%

^^^ Place image here and delete this line ^^^

What is the image about, what does it mean to you, and what motivated you to make it?

Equipment information:

Camera settings:

What specific feedback would you like?

Hi David, would you like this image critiqued or do you just want to ID the bird. If the latter we can move this to the discussion category.

David:
I agree with your ID of a MacGillivray’s .

The image does seem to have a yellow cast to it. Maybe the colors in the image just reflected a lot of that same color creating the overall yellow cast. I’d work to adjust it down. The perch is particularly eye grabbing in color and I’d take special care on that.

Posting: You can fill out the “form” when you post and put your comments and equipment in the appropriate places and delete the line that says to delete it where the image goes. The lines starting with ### obviously show up in the post as help for others to see the info and discern your desires for critique. We’re all learning the new system, but I have to say, I’m thrilled with where we are now.

Both

Thanks

Hi David. I agree that htere’s a color cast on the image and the perch is extraordinarily eye grabbing. The bird is beautifully depicted, so I think this one is worth spending some time on to try to resolve the color issue. MacGillivray’s is one I haven’t seen. Please send it my way.

I changed the white balance from “as shot” to “auto” and here is the result…

Thanks Dennis. You are the one who gave me the idea for the perch. The least I can do is send this Warbler your way…

Hello, David. - I do like the repost much better in terms of color ! Cheers, Hans

Wow, this is a species I would love to have in my files, David. Very nice detail in the Warbler, and a nice perch. The original post has quite a green cast as mentioned. The repost looks much better.

Auto worked much better, David. That’s still a very green cane-is it Himalayan Blackberry or something else?

Much improved. Must have been in something like Cloudy or Shade WB.

I too prefer the repost that has corrected the overall color cast. I also agree on the ID.

I’ve found it useful to try “As Shot” and “Auto” settings for white balance in ACR when I first import a raw file into PS CC. My Nikons are all set to Auto white balance and sometimes the Auto setting in ACR matches the camera’s interpretation, sometimes it is a bit warmer, and other times a bit cooler. It is illuminating to see the difference as it can reveal a color cast you weren’t aware of. When I get a visible difference I sometimes want something in between and then manually adjust the temperature sliders.

This is a very nice image, by the way.

Thanks to everyone for your input on this shot. With respect to the white balance issue, I typically shoot on auto WB. This was taken early before the sun hit the Himalayan Blackberry perch. I looked at some other similar images but this one was affected the most by the WB setting.