Maelstrom

On our trip to Hawaii in November we did a bit of island hopping. Our second stop was on the big island and after spending two days on the rim of Kilauea we went to the south shore for a couple of days. This was right across the road from our cottage and was a great spot at sunrise and sunset. I took a little less than a bazillion shots but this one resonated with me the most.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any comments regarding color rendition

Technical Details

Sony A7RIII
Sony FE 70-200 f2.8 GM OSS @ 178mm, CPL
ISO 50, 1/3 sec @ f22

2 Likes

Gorgeous, Bill. The colors look realistic, at least to me. They’re not too blue, they seem to have just a touch of green, which seems not only inviting, but believable. I can certainly understand why you would have taken a “bazillion” photos here. I hope we will be able to see some of them in the coming days?? Beautiful image.

Ah, this is sensational, Bill. I’ve tried over the years to get this kind of shot, but never successfully. Your shot succeeds on all points. I think the color is great, it feels like a peaceful maelstrom. Well done.

Yes, beautiful, with lovely colors and wonderful textures. The rugged lava is such a nice counterpoint to the motion of the waves, which was so well captured!

Love the wave action over those lava stones. The blues are perfect and soothing to the eye. Wonderful composition!

Very nice! Just the right amount of blur, offset by the steady rocks.

Bill, it’s easy to see why this one resonates. The small maelstrom is set off well by the rocks, while the blue tones look perfect. The mix of sharp and misty works very well.

Bill,

Absolutely love this! I think maybe after trees in general… moving water or water images are my next favorite.

The texture in the water is beautiful and the only thing that tops that are the colors. For the composition, I think the exposed rock anchors the scene beautifully - including the tension created with the water over the rocks that are yet to be revealed.

No nits or suggestions. I love this as presented. And who cares if it took one, or a bazillion… the end result is all that matters.

Lon

1 Like