Manzanita Ribbon + Rework

Rework

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

Is this appealing?

Other Information

Please leave your feedback before viewing the blurred information below, once you have replied, click to reveal the text and see if your assessment aligns with the photographer. Remember, this if for their benefit to learn what your unbiased reaction is.

Image Description

The ultra-thin outer layer of manzanita bark peels during the spring revealing the smooth, cool silky-red new bark below. The rich, reddish coloration comes from tannins and other compounds manufactured by, and deposited in, the cells of the outer bark. The curled bark is reminiscent of curled wrapping ribbon. Light reflecting from the inner and outer surfaces of the peeling bark produces myriad hues, fit for any occasion.
The peeling process is very rapid, you can see the bark rolling in real time. One must react quickly or what you want to capture may be on the ground before the shutter is activated.

Technical Details

Canon EOS 5D II; EF 100mm macro, 2.8; f/ 22 @ 0.4 sec, ISO 100; Gitzo tripod, RRS BH 55, remote trigger

Specific Feedback

Would you make this image? why? Why not?

Bob, I like the lines and shapes in this. I keep trying to make it into a musical note or something familiar. Is this bark off of a Manzanita bush? Interesting.

1 Like

Thank you @Shirley_Freeman for your interest. Indeed, the ribbon is the shedding bark of the manzanita bush on which it has been photographed. In manzanitas and other smooth-bark trees (e.g. Eucalypts, Madrones), the bark layer peels away each year . This prevents fungi, parasites, and epiphytes, such as mosses and lichens, from persisting on the tree’s trunk and stems.

2 Likes

This is beautiful, Bob. I really like the curves formed here and the background of the red new bark. I don’t know if you cropped this at all, but with all the curves working upward, the image feels to me like it could use a bit more space in that direction.

Thank you @Dennis_Plank for your comments. I’m not sure and I’m not able to review the original image at this time. When I am, I will review it.
Yes, the original has a bit more space at the top and bottom of the frame. I think it appears a bit lost, not so intimate.

Bob: A worthy subject indeed. I do prefer the version with more room at the top. The near square original crop just didn’t feel right to me whereas the greater room seems to please my eye more. A really nice find and a fine capture. >=))>

Thank you @Bill_Fach for your comments.

Wonderful!! Definitely my vote for the second image with more room! I love the isolation of this lovely curl. This is a difficult subject which I’ve tried to shoot many times. It always has challenges with DOF and bright highlights. I wonder about a comparison with the highlights pulled down more and shadows up.

Thank you @Diane_Miller for your comments and suggestions. I have reprocessed the image to open the shadows and lower the highlights . Let me know what you think.

1 Like

Bob, the extra space at the top certainly improves the image, as well as working with shadows and highlights. So others will know that you have made some changes I will add + Rework with the title. You can do this anytime yourself by clicking on the pencil beside the title, and adding something like + Repost, +Rework or something like that and then click the Yellow checkmark box when done. It lets others know changes were made since they last viewed.

Ok @Shirley_Freeman I wasn’t aware of that. I will do my best to add that notation when I modify an image.

1 Like

Try it on this post – the new version looks better but to compare meaningfully it would be necessary to open another browser window and try to navigate to the same post and click back and forth to compare. You will see people routinely putting reposts in the original post.