Marsh Wren--Resilience

Image:

Description:

Pointe Mouille is a state game area along the Lake Erie shoreline that is managed for waterfowl. Most of the extensive cattail marshes are degraded and have established invasive weeds present. Marsh wrens continue to flourish here and are moving into marginal habitats that have Phragmites. Phragmites does present an ideal perch for presenting territorial songs. Enjoy…

Specific Feedback Requested:

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

D850 600mm f4 + 1.4 Teleconverter (1/1600 sec at f7.1, ISO 800) Levels, Topaz DeNoise AI, Crop for Comp.

jameszablotny

3 Likes

Oh that flipped up tail! So very wren-y. And they are so loud! I can practically hear this one. Alas, the nice perch is a terrible menace. We have it here, too. I like that you’ve kept it entirely in the frame rather than cropping down. This expresses the environment somewhat without getting lost in a sea of it. The background is great. Was it a job finding one isolated this way?

1 Like

Beautiful image with wonderful color and superb composition. Marsh wrens are certainly difficult to capture in the open and you’ve done a very good job in isolating this one.

1 Like

Oh, I am enjoying, Jim. That flipped up tail, and the open beak while he sings is just way too good. Very nice capture.

1 Like

Gorgeous, Jim. I love these in Cattails, but I’ll have to admit that this perch works awfully well and provides a cleaner background.

1 Like

Wonderful pose and perch picked by the wren ! Nice composition as well. Cheers, Hans

1 Like

Wow, this is lovely, Jim! I love wrens but they are so hard to capture out in the open and with no distracting branches and other things around them. Beautiful capture!

1 Like

Thank you @Kris_Smith , @Vanessa_Hill , @David_Schoen , @Shirley_Freeman , @Dennis_Plank , @peter , @Keith_Bauer , @terryb and @Hans_Overduin for commenting and critiquing my marsh wren shot. It was nice to get a shot with the bird doing something and an image that has an underlying message about invasive species.

2 Likes

A funny aside about cattails though, the plant that this grass is supplanting in certain areas. I was on a field trip with a hydrologist who restores wetlands so he knows his botany when it comes to that kind of thing. He said that all cattails now are hybrids of what were once two species; a northern and a southern. Decades of searching for pure strains of either have produced nothing. I had no idea and why would I? Cattails haven’t changed how they look, just their genetics.

1 Like

Hi Jim
I am glad you resisted the urge to frame this Marsh Wren with a close up. The breathing room, takes the viewer eye to your singing wren. The cattail and soft background are nice props for this nicely color wren. very nice.
Peter

1 Like

@Jim_Zablotny Really enjoying this image. The pose with the tail all the way up is really great. Love the cattail and the nice complimentary background.

Nicely done.

1 Like

I really like this one, Jim. Keeping the wren small in the frame really makes it stand out - especially with that great background and no other clutter. Very nice.

1 Like

Simply a fantastic pose and you couldn’t ask for a better perch.

I’m torn on the placement of the bird in the frame. Normally I’d feel like having it centered wouldn’t work as well, but the heft of the brushy vegetation definitely helps the balance here.

1 Like

Very cool – eye-catching perch and wonderful light and IQ as always! Sad about the invasion. Is that yet another result of global warming?

1 Like