Memento of Mortality – Memento Mori

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This image strikes a somber note for me, yet there’s a raw beauty in its truth. It’s like nature’s own memento mori, a gentle nudge reminding us of life’s fleeting dance. The lines and shades here aren’t just marks; they’re the story of time itself, quietly saying that nothing lasts forever, but there’s elegance even in impermanence.

Specific Feedback

Any constructive feedback welcome.

Technical Details

31 mm at ISO 1000 and 1⁄200sec at ƒ/11

I can certainly see the title in this image, Saundie. It all seems to work down to those swirls in the lower left and kind of drop from there. Not knowing what the uncropped version looked like, if there’s a continuation of the contorted brown structure in the upper left I think it might make this even more powerful to include it.

1 Like

Another beauty. I do, however, second Dennis’s suggestion re: the contorted brown structure.

1 Like

@Dennis_Plank @Jim_Gavin
I agree with you, but I do remember shooting this and what was beyond the ‘brown crown’ was not worth adding to the shot, I will go back and double check though. Thanks for that feedback Dennis and Jim.

Fascinating! I would have gone nuts trying to decide where to crop it. I do feel I want to see more on top and left, though. After I saw it I might decide it’s not good, but that feeling crawls out at me.

Difficult scene to compose. One approach is to crop in and make it about those holes and trailing swirls. Add a bit of rotation counterclockwise and I see a meteor breaking up.

That may change your intent for your image completely. Possibly including more of the left edge could help to keep your vision for the image.

@Dennis_Plank @Jim_Gavin
I am going to have to revisit the location, there is nothing to add to this crop. Only 25 minutes from me and always worth the trip so a happy outing.

Thanks Diane will be going back to reshoot this hopefully add more to the crop.

Thanks Alfredo. I love your meteor idea!

I probably wouldn’t want to change the narrative of this image as it holds profound personal significance. It’s closely linked to my younger brother, who we sadly lost a few weeks ago.

1 Like

I’m so sorry Don. My deepest condolences.

1 Like

Thanks for your condolences Alfredo. My brother Ray was an incredibly talented fine artist with a long and successful career, in our last conversation he spoke of the ideas still burning within him. His words, “I still have so many ideas, so much I want to do,” echo in my mind, they are a reminder of life’s fleeting nature and the importance of embracing every moment with passion and creativity. Cliche I know, but so true. Thanks again.

1 Like

My condolences also! It’s so sad to lose someone who still has the fire burning inside, but so wonderful to have had them as a part of one’s life.

1 Like

Thanks Diane. You are so right … his light shines on through the work he left behind.