Mid-Winter’s Thaw & post of another crop and the original image

Color…

Another crop and angle…

Original image……

A small stream partially flowing from the ice.

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.
  • Conceptual: Feedback on the message and story conveyed by the image.
  • Emotional: Feedback on the emotional impact and artistic value of the image.
  • Technical: Feedback on the technical aspects of the image, such as exposure, color, focus and reproduction of colors and details, post-processing, and print quality.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

Do you like the black and white or color better. Anything else…

Technical Details

Nikon D3400, ISO 400, 300mm, f6.3, 1/400, handheld. Cropped

I prefer the beautiful blue color. I think I want to see how the two lines of ice come together beyond the right edge of the photo.

Vanessa, I think I like the color one best too. You do have a lot of texture and shapes that normally I like for B&W, but those shades of blue works well for me. I agree with @Ronald_Murphy that if you have some more room to the right, including the point in the V shape would help keep the viewer’s eye in the frame. I like the shot!

Hi Vanessa, I like the state of water in your image with free flowing water next to frozen ice. This scene has a ton of potential. Good job spotting this Vanessa. Of the two version, I do prefer the color one but I would recommend a slight desaturation of the cool tones.

As others have noted, I would have liked to have seen the ice as one continuous line to draw the eye through the frame. Currently, my eye starts at the bottom left and then continues to the right but then there is the break right at the right edge.

Hello @Ronald_Murphy @Shirley_Freeman @Alfredo_Mora ! Thanks for your feedback and comments. I see what you mean about wanting what’s not shown. I added the original image and also another crop I had gotten from it but wasn’t sure about….

1 Like

Vanessa, for me, I like the second crop and angle too. The original, I can see why you cropped it the way you did, trying to keep that last point of water on the bottom left, and leave the distractions on the bottom right out of the cropped image. I think, for me, I would rather lose that point in the water at the bottom left rather that lose the “V” point on the right side, if that makes sense. Kind of neat getting both the water and the ice.

Cool (literally :crazy_face:) images, Vanessa.

I prefer the color versions, with the deep dark blue hues. Both the 2nd and 3rd ones look good with all the twisting textures, and that third one is kind of appealing with that gnarly clump-line going up in the frame.

The B&W might look more I Teresita g with more contrast. To my eye it is a little gray, and I’m wanting more contrast but if course that’s just one eye’s point of view!

I too like the color versions and might even like some additional blue or even cooling if I do a d warming of water.

Another possible crop might be something like this, though perhaps it’s too geometric in approach? Just a quick screen grab, hence that we bite edge, but you get the picture (pub intended).

Vanessa,

Very cool! (quite literally too!) Count me in on the color as well. B&W is often a tough call when the details, contrast/tones get boild down to white, gray and black and so sometimes the details and message are lost. Then again, b&w often makes those things better!

I too love the combination of the free flowing water (frozen in time…) with the solid water, ice. With natural abstracts like this, there are many possibilities. I can see the point of wanted to include the meeting of the ice edges on the right. It looks however that your focus point is closer to the ice jutting out in the LL. This is where I might concentrate a crop in this area.

I went ahead and brought this in to PS. And now have changed my mind on b&w! And while playing around, I too was trying to think about the blueness… and came up with the idea of masking and separting the blue tones a litle bit. I kinda like how the ice is more “icy” and the free flowing water more blue - like it’s reflecting from the sky - which it probably was.

Great vision on this little scene Vanessa - I think great possibilities here!

2 Likes

Thanks @Mark_Muller @Marylynne_Diggs @Shirley_Freeman @Lon_Overacker for your comments and feedback. I always appreciate it. Yes, @Shirley_Freeman I really didn’t want all the stuff on the right side, mainly just some of the neat ice formations. @Mark_Muller , I too was really drawn by all the patterns happening in the moving water. And, @Lon_Overacker I absolutely love your crop! It’s the main part I was seeing, plus it’s the part that came out the best but wasn’t sure that I could crop it so much. It makes me want to venture down the steep hillside to get closer to the water. I might have to give it a go while there still is winter!

1 Like