More Great Blues

Seen at my neighborhood lake this morning. I put this one on more of a horizontal crop.

There were two birds that kept chasing each other. Good for me I guess.

Canon 90D, Sigma 150-600 C
ISO 640, f6.3, 1/3200s, hand held

Any comments appreciated.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

@allensparks.wildlife

2 Likes

WOW, money shots, Allen. I cannot pick a favorite. The heads are perfectly parallel to the camera. Love the dark background, too.

That is for sure, two money shots. I really like both poses showing lots of wing. Pretty cool to see the top bird so parallel to water and dipping its wings. Outstanding with that bg.

Great job on the exposure. The light falling on the subjects with the dark backgrounds really make these images. I like the crop on that first image more than the one in the other post.

Really nice! The exposure makes these sing. My favorite? First image with the wings down. Very nicely captured.

Allen, I vote the first one too, although they both are excellent shots, and I would have been thrilled if I had shot either of them. So glad that they are posing for you so close to home.

Hey Allen…the first image gets my vote. I just love that all black background with no distractions and the wings fully extended and trailing the water. The second image is nearly as good but I find that lower right portion of the background to be distracting compared to the first image which is so clean. Two awesome shots though. I like that first one better than your original post a couple days ago too.

Very nice job on both. I do prefer the first one. I like the wingtips touching the water and the soft reflection. Also, this has more of a sense of place; it’s harder to see the setting in the second one.

the second is a cool image, Allen, but I love the first! It’s pure elegance.

Hi Allen
The black background makes both of these photographs pop. Vary nice.
Peter

I like the stark contrast between the subject and background, but the wing position skimming the water’s surface in the first shot is the stronger image, IMO. Very nice Allen.

I’m with everyone for the first image. Although I’m not a fan of dark backgrounds, this one looks pretty good. Nice light and detail. I can rarely get the herons in my area to fly low enough to touch the water with their wingtips.