Norway morning

What technical feedback would you like if any?

any and all.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

any and all.
too much burning around the edges?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

iso 100 18 mm f18 5 sec
converted with Nik

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

Hey Frank, I would say yes, it is a little too much burning around the images, especially in the sky. Really nice composition, it may be beneficial to try to dodge and emphasize that nice line a little more and then reduce the burning in the sky. It’s not as evident in the foreground so I don’t think you’d have to take it down there really.

Frank, I think this is a very very successful composition. I particularly like how the leading line transitions from sands to smaller rocks. I also like the texture on the BG cliff. I say this is a very beautiful B&W conversion, too. In my estimation, the contrast is spot on. I agree that the vignette is a little too much giving it the artificial look but you’ve got a really nice image that’s worth tweaking until you are happy with it.

I like the downward framed design of your composition, and the contrast of the b&w conversion. Sorry, but for my taste that vignette is far too strong. And to me honest I think it discredits what otherwise has lots of potential.

Frank,

Have to agree with the others that yes, I think the vignetting is too strong. You have such a wonderful scene already, great for the b&w conversion - terrific sky, very interesting details in the sand and excellent contrast throughout. The vignetting seems more like adding a frame rather than toning down the corners. Not to belabor the point much more, but as presented the vignette isn’t evenly applied. I’m not sure any vignetting is needed at all - but then that’s hard to say without having seen the RAW image.

Again, a fabulous image; great composition; nice lead-in with the sandy formations and I like the horizontal at the 1/3-2/3’s position.

Minor nits. You have a few dark specs in the sky you might clone out and you might clone out the white shell(?) in the lower part of the frame. Very minor.

Love the image - would like to see a vignette-toned down version.

Lon

Love the composition and the textures. I think you’re right about the edge-burn being too heavy in the sky (especially top right) as it distract from the overall beauty. Nice shot though.

Frank I love the composition and the processing. The patterns and shapes in the beach are marvelous. But i agree with the others comments about the vignette being too heavy. How are you applying your vignettes, via Lightroom, Nik Silver Efex, or by other means? Personally I find the Nik vignette presets to sometimes be heavy handed, and easy to overdo. Lightroom offer more control, and the vignette tool within the TK Actions panel also does a good job that’s easy to adjust.

Except for the dark edges, I really like this Frank. Great lead in and nice B&W conversion.

Love that foreground Frank! I too would play with less burning. I vignette almost all my images, but find the best luck at a level that’s hard to tell unless you can compare the original.