October Spider

I have been watching this guy set-up ‘Web Quarters’ outside near my shop door for several days. Tonight’s cooler temps slowed him down enough for me to get a few shots which was not easy due to the tedious location.

October is upon us . . .

Image Techs:
File name RAMY_2209_SD11
Camera Model Canon EOS 7D Mark II
Shooting Date/Time 10/2/2020 6:13:19 PM
Author Michael Ramy
Copyright Notice CopyRight Rock Art, Ltd All Rights Reserved

Shooting Mode Manual Exposure
Tv(Shutter Speed) 1/250
Av(Aperture Value) 16
Metering Mode Evaluative Metering
Exposure Compensation 0
ISO Speed 400
Auto ISO Speed OFF
Lens EF24-70mm f/2.8L USM
Focal Length 70.0mm
E-TTL II flash metering Evaluative flash metering
Flash Exposure Compensation -2 2/3
Hand held

Mike, I’m glad you got a chance to capture a shot of this guy. He looks to be a Garden Spider, but maybe someone else can chime in. You really were able to get in really close to him. To me, I am having a bit of trouble viewing the face and eye, I think because of the lighting. He seems to be exposed well enough on his body and legs. Maybe a bit of selective brightening in his face area would improve the image even more. Thank you for sharing this “in your face” shot of this October Spider.

1 Like

This is an interesting looking spider. The flash has given photo a nice contrast between bg and highlights on spider. Looks to me like focus might be just behind the head of the spider. Sounds like a tough shot to get.

1 Like

Hi Mike, I noticed the sharpness and detail right away, which are both great. He is certainly a spooky character. I might wish for a bit more lighting somehow, but would have to experiment so as not to change the [dark] mood in this one.

1 Like

This looks like a Yellow and black Argiope spider. Nice contrast and details where needed. Flash has created interesting contrast. I would have wished to see more details on the face and the eyes. Nicely done overall.

1 Like

Mike: My immediate reaction was that this is a great capture of Shelob from Lord of the Rings. My comments echo Ravi but I do like the dark ambiance. Good effort and a fine result. >=))>

1 Like