Olympus RAW file visibility

I have been shooting with Olympus cameras using the raw format (ORF) since 2004. For my previous cameras I have been able to see the thumbnails in both Photoshop and Windows Explorer. However now that I’m using the EM1 Mk II, thumbnails are not visible. I can see them in Olympus Viewer, but would prefer they also be visible in Explorer and Photoshop. Olympus could not help, but suggested it was an Adobe issue. Can anyone help? @Richard_Sandor, @Keith_Bauer, maybe you guys know.

Adobe maintains a supported camera list. You can check this link to see if your camera is on this list vs support for on adobe products https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/kb/camera-raw-plug-supported-cameras.html#

Fast Raw Viewer will process your images-you might want to download a trial copy and test their viewer

Speculating here, because I don’t know Olympus from Olie. But if your model is a relatively new release, ACR may simply not have caught up to it. That was the case a couple of years back when I bought the then-new Sony RX100V. In a matter of months Adobe released an update of ACR and it was covered.

Bill
What version of Photoshop are you running and what version of adobe camera raw are you using. When you say you can’t see the thumbnails in Photoshop, are you talking about Bridge or LightRoom? Doesn’t make sense to talk about thumbnails in Photoshop except for the Home Screen, but that is only available in some of the latest versions of Photoshop CC (2018 and later).

For Windows, what version of Windows.

Sounds like an issue with old software to me as the EM-1 Mark II has been around for a couple of years.

Bill: can’t help with Windows as am a Mac user. Can’t help with PS as my normal flow is to import into Photo Mechanic and from there either into LR or PS. Basically Bill, I’m unfortunately of little or no help to you. Richard

Keith, I’m on Windows 10 using Release 19.1.4 of Photoshop CC 2018, the annual subscription. I don’t know what version of Adobe camera raw, don’t know where to find that. Thanks for your help.

Bill,

I sent you the link, you may want to take a look at it…!

Cameras supported by Camera Raw

This info available from Adobe:
https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/uptodate.html![Capto_Capture%202019-01-26_12-25-22_AM|690x392](upload://pLcpV4VLgXm2hZKWCE7FTRRa48q.png)

Current version of Photoshop is called Photoshop CC 2019 not as you wrote CC 2018. (typo?)

If you are on 2018 then you need to upgraded to CC 2019…v (20.0.1) https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/kb/camera-raw-plug-supported-cameras.html#

What is the most current version?

• The latest/most current version is Photoshop CC 2019 (version 20.0.2 )
  • The latest/most current version of Adobe Camera Raw is 11.1
  • The latest/most current version of Adobe DNG Converter is 11.1

What is the most current version?

• The latest/most current version is Photoshop CC 2019 (version 20.0.2 )
  • The latest/most current version of Adobe Camera Raw is 11.1
  • The latest/most current version of Adobe DNG Converter is 11.1

I know you are on windows here is windows info

Appreciate the help guys. Seems that both Photoshop CC and camera raw are not current. I was under the impression my software was automatically updated, so I’ll check it out.

Bill:

Since you are on the creative cloud subscription plan, you should be running the latest, but you said you were on 19.1.4. The latest version installed as a completely new install in a separate directory. That happens with each new major version. So if you are starting PS from a link icon on your desktop, you are still pointing to the older version. You may have the new version installed, but you just are not pointing to it. In the end, none of that is related to the issue you raised as 19.1.4 can easily deal with files from the EM-1 mark II assuming your camera raw converter is also current. To find out, go to Help / About Plugins and choose Camera Raw (I think that is where it is on Windows - I’m a Mac user). The latest Camera Raw is 11.1.0.112 (that is true for both PS 19.1.xx or 20.xx)

I want to go back to your original question. To see thumbnails in Windows explorer is solely a Windows problem. It has nothing to do with Photoshop. You need to go search Windows sites for help on a plugin or software update to allow Windows Explorer to read Raw files and generate thumbnails.

You said you can’t see thumbnails in Photoshop. I still don’t know what you mean here. Are you talking about Adobe Bridge? Photoshop only shows thumbnails on the opening Home screen (if enabled), and then it is only recent images you’ve worked. So, please describe the PS issue in more detail.

Here’s a screen shot of what I mean from PS.

Thanks @Keith_Bauer & @Ed_Fritz for your responses. I can open the ORF files fine, it’s just that the thumbnails are not visible. Keith, I am downloading the latest versions, which is taking awhile. Thanks again to you both for your assistance.

I just saw a post by Scott Bourne on his new website about an updated beta Raw Convertor / DAM designed by Olympus,

It looks really good.

Thanks again @Ed_Fritz & @Keith_Bauer for your interest. I mainly want the new ORF files to be visible in Photoshop and Windows Explorer like they have been in the past. After updating CC2019 still no thumbnails visible. Keith mentioned it’s likely a Windows thing, so I’ll have a look for a plugin.
Ed, that link from Scott Bourne looks really interesting, and I’m confident more flexible than Viewer 3, so will definitely check it out. Appreciate your help.

Bill:

I don’t know if it’s the same issue, but several years ago I wasn’t able to view RAW images in the Windows file system. I installed Fast Picture Viewer and it made them visible. I can’t remember if I had to change default programs, but it’s carried on working just fine with the conversion to Windows 10.

Bill: I asked a couple of times with no answer. What thumbnails are you talking about in Photoshop? That doesn’t mean anything to me. Are you referring to Adobe Bridge? If the only place you normally see thumbnails is Windows Explorer, as I said, that has nothing to do with Adobe. If you are used to seeing them someplace else, please let us know to try to be clear on the issue.

@Keith_Bauer, sorry I thought I’d made it clear. For both Photoshop CC2019 and Windows Explorer I was only interested in the ability to see thumbnails, nothing less and nothing more. I have no problems accessing or editing the files in the software, from either Explorer or Photoshop, just can’t see thumbnails. I can still see ORF files from past cameras, E-1, E-3 and E-5, just not with for EM1 Mk II.
@Dennis_Plank, maybe that’s the answer. Keith has already mentioned options like that.
Bottom line guys, it’s really no big deal, just a convenience.

One more silly thought, Bill. Do you use LightRoom for photo management? If you do, check to make sure you didn’t accidentally lose the default for importing files that creates thumbnails. I can’t remember the exact commands, but it’s part of the file import setup. It might be as simple as that.

Dennis:

Not sure what you’re referencing. No matter what settings you use during a LR import, you are going to get Thumbnails. There is a setting to change how big the thumbnails are, but there is no way to turn them off.

I’m probably wrong the, Keith. I think I was thinking about the “build smart previews” item. My mistake.

Hi Ed,

Thanks for pointing out the new software. After my PC recently crashed and burned, I downloaded the new Olympus Workspace from their website. Since I’m still getting back up to speed, I haven’t spent any time with it, but I’m confident that compared to Viewer 3 it’s sure to be an improvement.