On the Poop Post

This is a Vermilion Flycatcher that migrates to the St Marks NWR in NW Florida each spring. It’s been coming here for years and so far, nary a mate or friend has been seen in accompaniment. We figure he got blown in here on a storm, and now thinks this is where he should come back to each year.

This is a small bird, about the size of a House Finch, very fast and not overly fond of people, so long lenses are a must.

Specific Feedback Requested

All comments are welcome

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
D500, 200-500 @ 400mm (650 equivalent), f/7.1, 1/1250, +.67 EV, ISO 500

50/50 ACR PS

Beautiful bird. I like the presentation with the rock and grass (?) providing some framing and the nice background. Nice head turn and catchlight. Some loss of detail in the largest image.

1 Like

Nice job on the exposure and color, Chris. I agree with Allen on the loss of detail. It looks to my eye as if the focus locked on the reed rather than the bird, but still a fine image.

1 Like

It could be that and that it is a very tight crop on a long lens shot.

It is no fair that you have access to this bird and the rest of us don’t! But you found a great composition for him/her/it. Unfortunately it looks like processing has gone sour, with a strong JPEG artifact look to it. Even if it’s a 95% crop I wonder if it might be salvageable.