Orange Air

This is an image I took of the San Francisco Bay at around 10 am on September 9, 2020, when a layer of smoke from fires blocked the sun and kept us driving around with headlights until noon. It was similar to a solar eclipse and very disorienting. We have been living with hazardous air quality here for over a month, making photography outdoors quite impossible. Instead of snow days, we have smoke days. Perhaps this will be our life every fall from now on?

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

So sad Kathy. I used to live in San Francisco and it never looked this eerie . . .hard for me to say “nice photo” . . . .but it is a nice photo. Thanks for sharing your part of the world with us.

I lived in Berkeley for 10 years and never saw anything like this. I started wheezing just looking at the image. Nice monochrome.

Kathy, while I’m sure you’ll be glad to have your orange filter disappear, this is a fine photo, made special by the color cast and the string of lights along the bridge. Stay as safe as you can from the hazardous air.

Kathy, Thanks for documenting the reality of our surreal new normal with regard to fires. I wish you and yours the best for safety and well-being. Your image is an excellent documentary landscape.

Very surreal. It is a bizarre look at this landscape. In its color, it reminds me of the images from Mars.

1 Like

Kathy: Harley took the words out of my mouth. Great capture of a haunting scene. >=))>