Pair of Pelicans w/ Repost

Updated image:

Original image:

This was the first photo on day 3 of the Oregon Coast trip with @John_Williams. We finally found a place where the fog wasn’t quite so thick and we could actually see the ocean. This was a great place for Pelicans.

Specific Feedback Requested

All comments welcome

Technical Details

D850, 150-600 at 600 mm, f6.3, ISO 800 handheld

This is a great shot of these Pelicans, Steve! I love the ocean wave background. It makes it a dynamic portrait shot. Exposure, colors and detail are all great. My only suggestion would be to crop it into a 16x9 ratio from the bottom as the bottom of the rocks are pretty much dead space. It also puts more emphasis on the birds. Here is my example (I applied a little bit of sharpness to it while I was at it to compensate for saving a jpg to a jpg.):

Thank you @Gary_Minish for your comment and suggestion. I agree the crop works much better. I’ve added the repost at the top.

A fine image, Steve. I do like the repost more. It emphasizes the water more and makes an interesting background out of it.

Thanks @Dennis_Plank!

Hi Steve
You can never go wrong photographing Pelicans, nice framing. (16by9).
Peter

This came out great Steve. I too like the crop. I think I was picking up after the dog and nursing my knee at this point; you were obviously having way more fun.