Peek a Boo

I See You

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I discovered a new place for water lilies and dragonflies last week. Lowe’s Water Gardens (not the big box store) in northwest Houston is on my way to church every Sunday but it’s closed so I never went in. I was doing some other errands in the same part of town while I was on vacation so I popped in just to see what was there. Even though the season is waning there were still quite a few water lilies and close to a bazillion dragonflies! I just had my phone so I took a few shots and when the owner came out to see if I needed help I asked if I could come back with a real camera. She said of course and that there are other photographers who come by now and then. I came back the next day but didn’t bring the tripod, not wanting to get in the way of potential paying customers. The first time I looked at this water lily I was puzzled about the gray area right between the petals at 12 o’clock. Something caught my attention so I turned away but I remembered to come back to see what the object was. I was delighted to see it was a dragonfly nymph shell. I couldn’t get close enough to tell if it had split or if the nymph was still inside but regardless I thought it was a pretty cool find. I’m hoping to go back soon and bring the tripod to get more keepers. I shot over 600 frames on motor drive and had to delete a bunch of stinkers but still got some good results. >=))>

Specific Feedback

Shot both of these with AF and ISO 800 to get sufficient SS to freeze the action with the long lens rig. I don’t see much noise which was a pleasant surprise.

Technical Details

Peek a Boo
Sony A7rIII
Sony FE 70-200 f2.8 GM-II @ 158mm
ISO 800, 1/800 @ f11

I See You
Sony A7rIII
Sony FE 70-200 f2.8 GM-II @ 286 mm
ISO 800, 1/800 @ f11

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:
1 Like

What a neat find, Bill. I am glad you found you a nice place to go and shoot and that the owner doesn’t mind. Yeah, in the first image I was wondering what I was looking at in the area of 12 o’clock. Then I moved to the next image and what a treat. Great find and capture as a HH shot. Looking forward to your stacks, etc. with the tripod.

1 Like

Very cool find and a beautiful water lily blossom, Bill. Motor Drive :grin:

Amazing!! I’m staying tuned…

Bill, my favorite part is the miniature Ardvark, peeking through #1. Then you go a show me what it really was…booo… :rofl: The lily bloom looks great in both versions. What a great local find! BTW, my testing showed me that both my old 5D2 and the new R5 have minimal noise up to iso 800, so I’ve been using that as my default setting unless I want a slow shutter to blur things.