Praia do Sancho

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

The Sancho Beach (Praia do Sancho) is considered by many as the most beautiful beach on the Fernando de Noronha island (some say in Brazil, too). Accessing this beach is not very easy. From this lookout point, one needs to do a short hike and go down two series of metal steps through a very tight crack between two rocks with barely enough room to have your backpack on. After those two ladders, there are still several steps until you get to that soft, sandy beach.

From the lookout point, the color of the water was striking. Near the shore, the water is mostly turquoise green, and as you go deeper, it becomes a deeper blue. Also here we were able to see a couple of sharks swimming around near some rocks. The sharks in Fernando de Noronha do not seem to be of the dangerous kind. When snorkeling here or anywhere else, people often talk about close encounters with sharks without any danger whatsoever. This was our first swim on the island. The water was very clear and at the right temperature: not cold nor hot.

Fernando de Noronha is an archipelago off the coast of northeast Brazil. The main island is approximately 70% a national park and protected area. I had dreamed of visiting it for many years for that reason.

Specific Feedback

Does the image bring up a peaceful and quiet feeling in your eyes and mind? Are there any distractions I may have overlooked and should have eliminated?

Technical Details

2016-12-19-dsc05855-exif

I did minimal editing so as not to affect the water color saturation. The water color is one of the main attractions of the beach, in addition to its solitude. From this lookout area, there is not much room to explore various compositions. It almost makes me think that the location was picked with photographers in mind. This was a hand-held shot. Other EXIF information is provided in the image below.

Definitely looks peaceful and inviting, Egídio. The challenge of getting there likely helps keep it quiet. The tree branches in the upper left add to the sense that there’s a climb down to reach this beach.

Thanks for your feedback, @Mark_Seaver . Your assessment of the branches in the ULC was very perceptive. Thanks for your remarks.

Hi Egídio,

This must have been a very exciting and satisfying trip for you! :slight_smile:

This does have a nice tropical feel to it.
Thanks for the explanation about the perspective this was shot from, I can imagine going down the stairs and having to contort myself to pass through the tight gap that you described, I’m a big guy so I would likely have to remove my backpack to get through it :slight_smile:

Thanks for the backstory on the local sharks as well :slight_smile:

Nice image! :slight_smile:

First of all, Merv, thank you for taking the time to write and for your kind words. Here’s a shot as I was going down looking back. This was close to the end and was a wider. You can probably see on the top a section that was a bit narrower.