Predation

This cute and deadly jumping spider had made a meal of a horse fly.

6D2, 180 Tamron, 36mm Ext tubes, 800 ISO, F14, 1/125, Off camera flash with diffuser.

Am taking some baby steps with diffusing light in a macro environment.

Balan Vinod

1 Like

Oh wow, Balan, the details in his eyes and face are really great. The lighting looks great, so I think you have taken the right steps. I can see the reflection of the diffuser in his eyes, but I am okay with that. The fact that you caught him eating lunch is a real bonus. I wonder if you vignette the corners just a bit would help. It isn’t that distraction, but 3 of the four corners have a bit going on (oof end of leaf LLC, edge of leaf ULC, and a bright portion of a leaf in the URC). It is still an outstanding image as presented. I would be pleased to call it mine!

Balan: Yummy :nauseated_face: :woozy_face:! What a great catch and a superb capture. I actually like the diffuser reflection as it provides a catch light for the eyes. I agree with Shirley regarding vignetting the corners. You are becoming the spider master. :+1: :+1:

1 Like

Hi Balan, nice lighting to my eye. Fine details on the spider - love those eyes. Agree with the vignetting. A well done image.

Balan, the details in the spider’s face and eyes are outstanding. I could see burning-in the brighter area in the upper right corner and it would be nice not to have the oof leaf coming in from the lower left, but these spiders rarely hang out in clean, open areas. Another possible fix would be a square crop.