Preening Black Crowned Night Heron

Nestled deep into a scrub oak made exposing this fine bird, a bit on the interesting side. In the end, I went for the best exposure and depended on PS to get the rest.

Specific Feedback Requested

Anything you wish to comment upon only helps me to either expose better or process better. A win-win for me.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
D500, 200-500 @500 (750 equiv) mm, f/5.6, ISO 2000, 1/500

50/50 ACR-Photoshop with a fair amount of lights and darks masks to pull the Night Heron away from the BG

Hi Chris
Lovely photograph of a Night Heron, the coloring , detail and exposure are right on. This is a photograph the viewer will like spending time studying it.
Peter

1 Like

I like the pose. Kind of an intriguing setting. Details look fine.

The issue I have is the color cast. I’ve never seen a Black Crowned Night Heron that was as magenta as this one. I took this to PS, did some basic color corrections targeted to the bird mostly. Here’s the result.

I see your point and have corrected color balance. I this was due to having set a warmer CB in the camera and not switching back to a more neutral CB.

Hi Chris, I like the pose you captured including the one foot gripping the branch. Good job on the repost.

1 Like

Nice composition and detail, Chris. The repost color balance looks fine.

1 Like