Pride of Barbados

I was having fun testing out my Laowa 100 manual focus macro lens in the field. It was a windy day so it was a challenge to get things in focus. It was at this stage that I appreciated how useful an auto-focus macro lens could be :slight_smile:

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.
  • Conceptual: Feedback on the message and story conveyed by the image.
  • Emotional: Feedback on the emotional impact and artistic value of the image.
  • Technical: Feedback on the technical aspects of the image, such as exposure, color, focus and reproduction of colors and details, post-processing, and print quality.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

All comments are welcome. I’ve tried a number of different crops, including square but this is the one that resonates with me at the moment. What’s yours?

Technical Details

1/125 sec ISO500 Laowa 100 macro lens

3 Likes

Andre, congratulations on your new lens. Always fun trying new equipment. I like the selective focus of just the stamen, and the rest nice and soft. This crops works fine for me. Nicely done on a windy day.

Andre, this gives the impression that you have an imposing flower or group of them to play with. I love the fiery colours. Like you say, on this occasion you could have wished for auto-focus, as the stamens need to be very sharp. I’m sure you can try again on a calm day! Did you take a shot focusing on the stamens with a completely yellow/orange BG? I think in that case I might prefer the square crop. I’ve heard a lot about how good the Laowa macro lenses are, so I’m looking forward to more of your shots with this lens.

Well, the artistry here makes sharp focus and focus control a non-issue! This is simply gorgeous and I’m grateful for the detail that is there! What lovely dancing lines!

Thanks for the comments @Shirley_Freeman @Diane_Miller @Mike_Friel .
Sorry, I wasn’t clear with my post. This is an older image. I was just trying to convey the feelings I had when I first got the lens and I was taking the shot. It’s a great lens. I never thought I would run into a situation where I would need autofocus for my macros.
Mike, it’s a tricky flower to shoot. It’s small, delicate and moves around a lot with the wind. I enjoy the challenge though. I’ll post a few other images from the session.

1 Like

Andre: I like shallow DOF images and this is a good one. I’m vacilating with regard to the BG. I wish it was all orange/yellow or all gray/green. The mixed colors compete and draw attention from the main subjects. I do like the concept and overall comp. >=))>

Thanks for the comments Bill. I agree, I was trying to capture as much of the orange/yellow BG as possible.