Putting His Best Foot Forward

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Green Heron was moving to a better perch and caught him in mid-stride.

Technical Details

Nikon D800, 80-400 @400, f/5.6, 1/1250, ISO 400

Pretty much all ACR except for isolating the Heron and painting in some contrast in PS

Great pose, Chris, and I love the environment. The whole image does seem a bit oversaturated to my eye-a bit like an old RCA television.

Could be a monitor difference but it also could be that I painted a tad too much contrast into the feathers. The blue in the BG looked terrible under-saturated but a tad too gaudy over-saturated…what to do, what to do? He had stepped out of the shadows into fairly bright light and I was in a boat drifting by, so it was pretty much a one shot deal.

Hi Chris!

Great stride shot! I like the colors and patterns quite a lot!

Sometimes we just get lucky and catch something like this, its always a pleasant surprise when that happens to me!

The stride reminds me of Dennis Plank’s Signature Artwork! Not the bird so much but the stride an the placement of the feet. It looks like the bird is mad and ‘Stomping’ it’s way along. :slight_smile:

Hi Chris, love the stride you caught and the profile view. One of my favorite birds. Contrast and saturation seems slightly overdone IMO.

And they are…I’ll go back and have another go at it. Thanks for the input.

He wasn’t mad per se, as much as very determined. Thanks for the input. Green Herons and Least Bitterns are my favorite birds to shoot.