Rising Son

I have a close friend who has a time share on Maui . He, along with many others, had told me about sunrise on the Haleakala summit. I had reservations for two days hoping that at least one would be worthwhile. This was the first day and it was so spectacular that I passed on making that tough drive to the top in darkness and getting up at zero dark thirty the second day. I have to admit I didn’t see the little boy peeking over the crater rim until I was reviewing the images. All comments welcome.

Self Critique (click to reveal)

My only issue with this comp is the dark rocks in the RLC. I also considered a bit of a crop from the top to get the horizon line off the center.

Technical Details

Sony A7RIII
Sony FE 24-105 f4 G OSS @ 58mm
ISO 400, 1/320 @ f8

Woah, that is a very impressive sunrise, Bill. Love it. Having been there, I know how hard it is to capture the crater and sky without having some of the near ground sneaking in. If this were mine, I might be tempted to clone out the rock in the lower right just to see what it does to the aesthetic.

Emotionally, I feel the cold of the height and the warmth of the sun coming up to a new day. I think that is the message of the image. Well done.

Just read your self critique. Totally agree with that right corner. :slightly_smiling_face: