Same ice.

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Different area of place other ice photos were taken.

Specific Feedback

any.

Technical Details

canon 5d MKIV; 24/70 @70; 1/320th; 11.0; WB: cloudy; 1600 ISO

A very productive chink of ice, Jim. I really like the complexity and geometry in this image.

Always a call as to what YOU want this to end up looking like. I’ve made many similar and might suggest you increase contrast and brightness just a bit… but it is your call, my friend.

@Dennis_Plank Thank you. It is a small area of a much larger area. A lot of geometric stuff. I had a time trying to find a good representation.
@JohnSnell Thank you. On my monitor it is brighter with more contrast. I might have posted one before I added those. I’ll check.

More brightness and contrast.

Never sure how to comment on these types of images as they are what they are. It is certainly an interesting and engaging image. What does it look like in BW. or soft without the sharp edges. Its seems like an image you could take in several different directions.

Hi Jim, I really like your ice images. Lucky you to have such a fascinating subject at hand! The patterns in this image are just wonderful!

My first thought was to try some more contrast. Perhaps bringing out the blues, too?

Is there a vignette in your image? I’ve tried a TK9 vignette, 17pc opacity. What do you think?

As @mark28 said, these abstract images “are what they are” and there are so many directions that one could take them into. So true!

I think your edit with more brightness and contrast is brings more life to the image, but the overall brightness a bit “haphazard”/chaotic for me. To illustrate, here’s my take with increased brightness and contrast controlled with a luminosity mask across the whole image. The energy is quite different now. Calmer. Of course, you may prefer the higher energy image. This is just my totally subjective opinion and taste, so please feel free to ignore my input.

I’d be totally chuffed to have such an image. One to put on your wall, for sure!

@mark28 Thanks you. I have tried B?W but not happy with it. I have not tried softer edges. Thanks for the suggestion.
@LauraEmerson Thanks you for your extensive critique. No vignette in mine. As you and Mark indicate there are many directions. So far I like all the revisions, especially your last one.

You’re welcome, Jim! I was nervous that you might think that I did too much to your image, so am glad you like the tweaks. Food for thought, I say.

Jim: I like this “aerial” view of your ice patch. What a target rich environment for sure. I do prefer your second iteration which pops much better for me. Nice work on all of these. >=))>

@Bill_Fach Thank you.