Sanderling

Amidst an annoying bunch of runners and dogs, I worked my way towards a Sanderling. A species I shoot quite a lot, but with a back-lit razor clam was a first-timer for me, or so I believe.
For the full story you can check: https://www.hansoverduin.nl/who-let-the-dogs-out/
Thanks for any comments, Hans

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Nikon D500 with 500mm f4 | 1/640s | f4 | ISO900 | overexposed 1 1/3 EV | handheld

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

The clam is pretty cool. I think it is a bit tight at the top…

1 Like

Beautiful lighting, Hans. I think I agree with Dan that a touch off the bottom and the same added to the top might make a better composition. The extremely shallow depth of field works very well here.

1 Like

A good low level look at the sanderling. Nice to find one posed like this and the clam is a bonus. Would concur with Dennis’s suggestion for a bit off the bottom and a tad more on top.

1 Like

@Allen_Brooks, @Dennis_Plank, @Dan_Kearl: thanks for your suggestions, I guess you are right. I would mean adding some canvass, but especially at the top this should not be a problem. Thanks !

Hi Hans
Good looking Sanderling and thanks for the id on the razor clam. The nice soft shallow depth of field really work for this photo. The low angle shot helps the puffy white Sanderling and clam stand out. Nice work.
Peter