Soft Landing

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

On one of my routine garden tours I spotted this Japanese Maple leaf fallen on one of our calla leaves after a heavy storm early Thursday morning.

Specific Feedback

I like the comp and flow of the first image but there is a tiny bit of motion blur while the second image is sharp throughout and more detailed.

Technical Details

Sony A7RIII
Sony FE 70-200 f2.8 GM-II @197mm
ISO 400, 1 sec @ f16

Sony FE 70-200 f2.8 GM-II, 2xTC @ 302mm
ISO 3200, 1/4 sec @ f22

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:
1 Like

Bill, normally I’d pick the horizontal one, but in this scene the vertical works best for me. The BG leaf makes for the perfect backdrop for the smaller leaf enhancing that leafs edge to edge details overall… :sunglasses:

What a great find, Bill. Good eye to spot this and capture it the way you did. As @Paul_Breitkreuz said, the Calla leaf makes for a wonderful BG to the Red Mapel leaf. I like that the veins of both leaves are running in the same direction. Nice.

1 Like

Bill, I’m with you in liking the eye movement in the horizontal view. The contrast between the big sweeping curves of the Calla and the spikey Japanese Maple leaf works very well. The horizontal view also has some subtle colors in the Calla that add to the viewing.

Both are really compelling images. For me, it’s the horizontal one that does it. I like the less saturated tones, which is weird for me to say because I tend more towards saturation in my own images. I think the lines in the Calla leaf just really make this image great, and the more of the Calla the better for me! Love them both though. Well seen!