Soft Niagara Sunrise - Iconic Niagara Falls

I am fortunate to live near an iconic location in the US and Canada, Niagara Falls. This image was photographed from the Canadian Side of the Horseshoe Falls at sunrise in February. I loved how the mist filtered the sunlight and softened it’s warming glow.

5 Likes

I love the movement of the water and the shape of the waterfall drawing the viewer towards the sun which is perfectly muted by the mist. I also like the warm tones on the water. Great job!

1 Like

This is a lovely view across the falls, James. The overall softness from the slow shutter and the mist makes for a very dreamy view. The glow of the sun and it’s reflection in the foreground add a fine, inviting warmth.

1 Like

Thanks Jacob.

Thank you Mark.

Very nice light, atmospheric conditions and water. The soft peaks of the waves catching the sun is really amazing. This is a very different image than your typical Niagara Falls view. Perfect exposure time and real nice use of leading lines into the setting sun.

Thanks David.

James: This is marvelous. Perfect SS as far as I’m concerned and a wonderful comp with the edge of the falls leading the eye through the frame. Most excellent! :+1::+1: >=))>

1 Like

Thank you William.

Gorgeous light and textures on that water.

1 Like

Really brings a sense of peace and wonder to this normally chaotic and people filled location. The lighting on the falls is beautiful and the curve pulls the eye right around the scene. Excellent photo.

1 Like

This is what I thought Niagara Falls would look like when I first saw it in my youth. Instead I was very disappointed. I love this interpretation, which is quite masterful. Great shutter speed and the sun in the mist is the icing on the cake, giving the whole image a warm glow.

1 Like

Nice!
Congrats on the EP!
I’d be interested to know your settings, as I’m trying to learn very slow shutter speeds for flowing water.
Was this done with super-filters like the Big Stopper ND 10 and extended shutter speed of many seconds?
Sandy

1 Like

James: this is well executed. Don’t think that I’ve ever seen a soft and dreamy treatment of a waterfall. Congrats on the EP. It would be nice if you posted your techs. Richard

1 Like

Thank you everybody! I’m quite surprised to have received the EP. For those curious, This image was photographed in 2017 with a Nikon D750, Tamron 15-30 wide angle lens at 20mm, 2 second exposure, f/13, iso 100. I believe I used the Lee Little Stopper as well as a .9 soft grad on the sky fading over the edge of the falls.

1 Like