Spring Sprinkle + Rework

Rework

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

Are you familiar with this anatomy?

Other Information

Please leave your feedback before viewing the blurred information below, once you have replied, click to reveal the text and see if your assessment aligns with the photographer. Remember, this if for their benefit to learn what your unbiased reaction is.

Image Description

Rhodendron is a genus of 1,024 species of woody plants in the heath family (Ericaceae). Most species have showy flowers.

Technical Details

Canon EOS 10D; Canon EF 28-70mm @ 70mm; f/22 @ 0.7 sec, -0.5 EV, ISO 100; Gitzo tripod, RRS BH 55; remote trigger

Specific Feedback

Whatever you wish, positive or otherwise.

First reaction was to the clarity of the image particularly the stamens, also like the angle of the pistil. Nicely done, Bob.

Looks like a wet Azalea bloom, Bob. The clarity of the stamen, pistils, and water drops looks great. There’s quite a bit of noise and grain in the oof areas.

Thank you @Stephen_Stanton for your comments. I was fascinated with the arrangement of the anatomy, and water drops with their optical distortions.

A lovely composition, Bob, and a great job on the main subject. I do think some noise reduction might be in order as the background does look rather grainy.

Thank you @Dennis_Plank @Mark_Seaver @Stephen_Stanton . I believe I have resolved the noise/graininess you mentioned.

Nice job on the repost, Bob.

Bob: We have an azalea that is very similarly marked and the challenge is to get your plane of focus and DOF precise so that the pistil and stamens are sharp. I fight this issue with day lilies as well . You did really well here and the drops are a huge bonus. Nice work on the repost as well. :+1: :+1:>=))>

Repost provides an ideal improvement over the original. You could not find a better way to get the flower positioned in the frame–that makes this a wonderful photo of a very difficult flower to photograph…Jim

Thank you @Bill_Fach @Jim_Zablotny @Dennis_Plank @Mark_Seaver @Stephen_Stanton for your kind remarks. I was pleased with the rework too.The most puzzling thing for me was how the petals had so much grain and noise as posted when it was clean on the original image. Fortunately it was a relatively simple fix.