Stalking Green Heron

The Green Heron has spent the last several weeks pounding the frogs, tadpoles and dragonfly larvae that live in the runoff control pond next door. Yesterday, late in the afternoon, it came fairly close as I sat beside the pond and caught a bit of sun while it searched for food in the shallow water. (7D2 100-400 @ 360 mm, 1/160 s, f/8, iso 400, tripod)

Beautiful shot, Mark. I like how you captured him crouched in the stalking position. The reflection of him in the water is really nice as well. Great shot.

Love the intense look in this guy’s eye Mark. Great detail. Pretty sure he’s going to capture something. Nicely done.

Super lighting on this. A really striking reflection shot.

Hi Mark,

Young green herons are wonderful subjects for photography. Pose and reflection are awesome. To put this one over the top, you could clone out the OOF stick that is right behind the heron. It caught my eye. Other than that, either way it would look good framed and up on the wall…Jim

Great capture Mark. It caught my eye because my son and I had seen one last week while paddling a local river. Same look in the eye and a stalking posture. Ours was on a muddy bank which didn’t set him off as well from the background, and no reflection of course. Still, they’re fun to see and pretty uncommon here in CT.

Very appealing capture of this Green Heron. Well composed with effective reflection.

Mark: Great pose and I like that there is a bit of rippling in the water and reflection. Great capture of the moment. >=))>