Take me home, country road

My first trip to Colorado (Ridgway) to photograph the Fall colors and I was not disappointed. I shot this scene just before sunset while wandering down a gravel road. I liked the trees and the mountain in the background as a comp. Any comments, suggestions, critiques are most welcome. Thanks!

Specific Feedback Requested

What would you suggest for improvement?

Technical Details

7 Likes

Hey Scott, what a wonderful fall scene. The framing of the mountain with the trees is terrific and the road/path through pointing to that same mountain just completes the scene. There looks to be a bit of keystoning going on, but since the trees also lean towards the mountain, it’s fine.

Terrific fall color scene.

1 Like

Thanks so much!

@scott_fenton - Ahh… Colorado. (I’m a native of Southwestern Colorado and still visit there often).

The San Juans are simply magnificent. I think you found a really lovely scene, and a classic Colorado fall colors composition. All that works really well for me.

I find a few things that I’d suggest taking a look at. You have some odd cloning line ( or something going on near the top of the frame directly above the mountain peak). Edit: It goes all the way across the top and there are trees that don’t line up at the top on the left side.

I think the contrast between the darkest parts of the foreground and the trees on the right side of the road and the mountain is too much. I also think the mountain needs to be warmer as I know what those mountains do at sunset and also just their natural colors.

I took a stab at a few of those suggestions and came up with this as a possible variant.

2 Likes

Scott,

G O R G E O U S, gorgeous scene! Classic scene with the road leading the eye in to the scene with the perfectly placed mountain peak completing this autumn landscape beauty

I hadn’t notice on the first pass, but definitely seen the blending anomoly that Keith brings up. Certainly want to fix that if you have any plans on printing - And you should print this!

I do realize there is some diffused light and shadow, but I think you could lift the luminosity of the aspens on the right a little bit. But at this point it’s all about personal choice and your vision for the end result. You most certainly have winner here! Love this scene and image!

Lon

Thanks so much for the feedback! Most appreciated. I did not notice the lines at the top until you pointed it out. This was a bracketed photo, so I assume that is the cause.

Thanks again!
Scott

A wonderful scene which had to have been even more beautiful in-person.

The only issue had is with the odd cloning or defect on the lefthand side, as @Keith_Bauer pointed out.

1 Like

Thanks Cody! Although this was a bracketed photo, I did not do any cloning, promise. My eyes are bulging to see what you and Keith are seeing in the trees on the left side. ???

Cody - I see it now on the left side after more study. I think it was due to the bracketing from Photomatix. Will crop it out.

Thanks!
Scott

1 Like

This is a gorgeous scene Scott. It has a very painterly look and is very inviting to the viewer.

1 Like

Thank you so much!

Thanks everyone for the most valuable feedback! Hard to believe I missed some things, even after working/staring at this image for so long. Revised image attached. YOU ROCK!

1 Like

Fantastic image! I wouldn’t change a thing. You nailed it.

Wow, thanks Kevin!

1 Like