Texas Two Step

Sony A77
Sony 70-400G @ 400mm
ISO 400, 1/320 @ f16
Grimes County, Texas
I’ve been fighting off terminal boredom and decided to wander out in the country yesterday and hunt some wildflowers. This area is about 25-30 miles from my house and the concentration of bluebonnets and paintbrush was a pleasant surprise. I had a number of frames with different DOF but like this as the best combination of FG sharpness and fading OOF BG. Texas, it’s a whole 'nuther country y’all! All comments welcome. >=))>

3 Likes

Hey @Bill_Fach
Spring is indeed here, and that image is just the proof. Love the “randomess” of the flowers on the foreground, is very very sharp also and the DOF is just fine to me. I just find that orange bunch on the too a bit distracting, maybe a crop to a more square ratio can solve that.

Always good to see a field of such gorgeous flower, and this images makes justice to that experience.thabks for sharing,
Cheers.

Wonderful photo Bill. The bluebonnets in our area of Texas have already begun to fade, but these are gorgeous. Love the layers of bluebonnets and paintbrush. And yes I agree, "Texas is a whole 'nuther country y’all!

Wonderful image Bill, what a masterful use of selective focus. your processing looks great, the colors are rich h but not over-saturated, you got the Goldilocks level of color, just right. I’m enjoying viewing this one very much, it’s a real visual treat. :+1: :+1:

great tele shot Bill :))) i love the way my eye wanders through the mixed flowers/colors. DOF can be a challenge in images like this, even with a tele at f/16, but i think your choice to have the upper third go OOF works well.
i grew up in the northeast but went to graduate school in texas — the first time i saw fields of indian paintbrush and bluebonnets was a sight i will never forget! thanks for the reminder.

A wonderful splash of color, Bill. Glad you were able to ride out and find them. A nice find and capture.

Bill,

Beautiful spring and wild flower image. I think it’s especially effective to have the top oof. This day and age it’s pretty easy to make a scene like this bottom to top - but raises the notion that just because you can do something, doesn’t always mean you must.

colors, processing look spot on.

Sorry, but I’m gonna have to move this to Flora… :laughing: :innocent: (Just kidding!)

Lon

Now this cheers me up! Such bright spring color. Wonderful image Bill. The OOF works very well for the background, but I wish the foreground was solidly sharp.

I love the patterns here Bill. I thought this might even be an entry into the “Layers” weekly challenge! I always am challenged by fields like this…finding something that doesn’t look confusing. Great job seeing this and as others have said the OOF background is pleasing to my eye.

Bill
Fighting off terminal boredom, indeed! I would say that you succeeded. Lovely image.