The crown

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I found this leaf with ice on the sidewalk during a short walk last week.

Specific Feedback

Any comments are welcome!
I kept the stem to give a hint of what it is. Right or wrong, in your opinion?

Technical Details

Olympus OM-1 camera with 20 mm f1.4 lens, 1/20, f/8, ISO 800, handheld.
Contrast, saturation, brightness, structure and clear view adjusted in the raw development (DxO Photolab 7).

2 Likes

This is very beautiful, Ola. It cold be the crown and the crown jewels. I don’t know what the black channels in the background are, but they add a very interesting element to the image. Very well seen and executed.

Really cool Ola! I definitely can see the crown and I’m ok with leaving the stem. I like the color contrast of red and blue together. The overall image feels a bit crunchy and I’m wondering if that is due to the structure and Clear View adjustment in DxO.

Great abstract nature image. I like it so very much. Your title is very appropriate. You’ve done a great job of capturing the textures of the elements in the photo.

@Dennis_Plank, @Alfredo_Mora and @Chris_Baird thanks for your kind comments.

These are the joints between the tiles in the sidewalk. I liked that pattern and judged them as important when taking the shot.

Yes it is. It was a deliberate decision during post-processing. I can understand that it could be seen as too much!

Great shot. I like the shapes, colors and textures. I agree that it might be a wee bit too crunchy, but not much. I wonder if your idea of a crown could be further accentuated if you rotate the image so the point is up and stem down?

This is quite the find, Ola. I suppose one might call it a “crowing achievement”… :wink: I really like the textures throughout including the cracks. Well seen and presented.

@Cathy_Proenza and @Mark_Seaver thanks for your kind comments.

Great idea, I will explore that.

1 Like