The garden

It was rather challenging. This is a very small flower and it was mid morning, the sun coming from the side still. I had to support myself against a fence and work wonders with my body :slight_smile: to get to these buds. Mild breeze.

Specific Feedback Requested

Just wondering if it is well made.

Technical Details

Nikon Z7
105mm
1/1600 sec
F/5
ISO 200

1 Like

I like what you are going for here, Marie. The 3 amigos in your garden look like they were just waiting for you to come with the camera. If you have something in your bag to shade these little guys, it might be worth another shot. I know, twist that body around again! :grinning: Just a thought though, if the lighting was more even on all 3 stamen it would be more about them. Maybe even give a touch more room at the top as well. You did a fine job capturing these little guys.

Great!. Thank you!

1 Like

I also like the position of the three little buds and I have found myself in strange positions too trying to get the shot I want :grinning: I agree with @Shirley_Freeman that most of the time getting even light on flowers makes a better image. However, that is easier said than done if you don’t have someone to hold something to shade the flowers. I love the freedom of doing handheld shots on flowers and I do it when the lighting is even, like cloudy days. However, trying to take a picture handheld and shading a plant is almost impossible especially if your working out of a backpack. I’ve figured out that when there is shadows, it’s time for a tripod and remote shutter release if I’m by myself. I purchased these reflectors: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XPW9PHF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1
I got the 24”. The 43” would work better for larger areas that needed to be shaded, but I’m carrying too much equipment with me already and chose the smaller pack. I rarely use any of the many reflectors that come in the pouch except for the white translucent one to shade , I liked how these folded up into a small pouch. They do a pretty good job of shading. I found a remote for my Sony that uses Bluetooth and doesn’t need to be plugged into the camera. It’s small and I can hook it to my belt loop. This remote is so handy that many times I use it when I’m on a tripod. Search on Amazon for “Bluetooth camera remote for Nikon”. There is plenty of them at all different prices. Take a little time to read the reviews. I purchased mine from Sony because I knew it would work, but it was much more expensive. To use this remote, you need to find the Bluetooth setting in your camera menu and turn it on. This will be found in your network menu on your camera.

Marie, I think you’re headed in the right direction. Your composition was good, just try to even out the light on your subject. I find flower photography difficult, but very rewarding. Hope some of what I mentioned helps.

2 Likes

It helps a lot!. Thank you so much!

Interesting composition and you hit a good focus point. Good advice above. @Donna_Callais, for Canon there is an iPhone app that turns my iPhone into a very capable remote shutter with all the basic camera controls and a screen to show the shot – I’ll bet there is something similar for Nikon and all the major brands. You really need a tripod to free your hands to use it but it’s great for the odd angles and tripod heights where you can’t see the camera’s screen well.

Yes, this was a subject in a very low position almost to the ground. I could not use the tripod… but I will wait until more buds show up in higher levels. Thanks!!