Tufted Titmouse

I sometimes hesitate to post images of the most common birds and wildlife that make my property their home, but I think that’s a mistake. When we bought this property, I tried to leave as much of the native vegetation as I could in an effort to sustain the resident wildlife, and I have added many plants native to these woodlands since. My interest in native plants grew from my desire to provide a home for these critters, and my interest in photography grew out of a desire to record the animals that live and reproduce here. Titmice (Titmouses?), Northern Cardinals, Carolina Chickadees, Bluejays, Brown Thrashers, Mockingbirds, woodpeckers of many types, and many other birds and animals all make their homes here, in abundance. They certainly deserve a place in my “portfolio”! Do you have a similar story? Please comment, if so.

Specific Feedback Requested

See my rant, above. :wink:

Technical Details

Canon 60D, Canon 70-300mm IS USM Zoom, f/5.6, 1/350 sec., ISO 1000. Processed in ACR and PSE 2020 for exposure and cropping. Topaz DeNoise.

Very nice, Terry. I love the pose and background and the detail in the titmouse is excellent. And, yes, while I love to travel and shoot different species, probably the majority f my photography is done on our property of the birds, insects, plants and other critters that inhabit it. And I get just as much satisfaction getting a good Junco image (of which I’ve taken thousands) as I do as I do a Quetzal in Costa Rica.

Thanks @Dennis_Plank. Well said and, yes I enjoy your photos of your local birds and critters just as much as I enjoyed the excellent photos and beautiful birds you photographed in Costa Rica.

Fantastic capture, Terry. Please don’t every hesitate to post any image. I love see all of the wild life you have up there in your neck of the woods!

1 Like

Titmice are my favorite songbirds and I miss them a lot. For some reason we get their buddies here in the yard (chickadees, juncos and nuthatches), but not them so thanks for posting this. I like the light and the natural framing you have here although it seems on the cool side to me. I think warming and brightening the bird just a little would bring out more richness in the scene.

And in regard to posting what is mundane for you, remember that nature is nature and even in profusion things are precious and vital. What might be ordinary for you is exotic for someone who doesn’t have these birds where they live. Keep sharing and doing your part to encourage these little ones to flourish.

1 Like

Thanks @Kris_Smith. I’ll take a look at brightening the bird a bit.

Sorry you don’t get Titmice. They’re one of my favorites, too. I wish this one had it’s little top knot raised, but it was wearing the “slicked back” look when I took this photo. Well, guess I’ll have to take another photo of one with his crest raised!

1 Like

Whoops! I somehow missed replying to you @linda_mellor. Thank you. I will continue to post my observations as they present themselves!

I’d much rather have the chance to enjoy a wonderful photograph of a “common” bird than a more mediocre shot of an exotic or uncommon bird. And this is a very nice image of a cute and attractive subject. The lighting and detail are wonderful, as is the setting.

I may find it more attractive than some of you, as we only have the more drab Oak Titmice, but they are also cute and fun to watch, and usually too busy to pose.

1 Like