Water Lines

Critique Style Requested: In-depth

The photographer has shared comprehensive information about their intent and creative vision for this image. Please examine the details and offer feedback on how they can most effectively realize their vision.

Self Critique

I like how the water drops form along the lines of the leaves. The repetition of shapes and color appealed to me, as well.

Creative direction

Delicacy and intimacy with nature. Accepting insights and discussion.

Specific Feedback

Open to all thoughts

Technical Details

Nikon Z 6ii
24-200mm @ 155mm, f8, 1/125, ISO3200

Description

This was taken in Redwoods National Park as we walked through the Lady Bird grove. I love the small surprises when you look closer. The trees are so majestic. But so is this patch of Redwood sorrel tucked in at the base of the massive trees.

3 Likes

This is gorgeous, Margaret!
Welcome to NPN! :slight_smile:

I appreciate the backstory about where these leaves were situated, it adds context for me.

I like the waterdrops and the composition very much! The progressive light from top to bottom shows the depth of this very nicely.
The depth is further emphasized by the OOF sections and the color seems indicative to that region of the country.

I think you’ll like it here, we’re all very friendly and we all try to be as helpful to each other as we can :slight_smile:
Lots of experienced folks here as well so don’t be shy about asking for anything that you need or want help with.

Welcome aboard! :slight_smile:

Hi and welcome to NPN, Margaret. What a coincidence - I was photographing wood sorrel just the other day. I didn’t have the benefit of all those lovely water drops though. Those are something. Thanks for jumping into the weekly challenge with you photo.

1 Like

Welcome to NPN, Margaret. This is a fine first post with all of it’s small droplets on those fresh green sorrel leaves. The mix of shiny drops and fresh green leaves looks great. As food for thought, it’s often said that we humans often prefer photos of things in odd numbers. In this case, sliding the view just a bit higher would emphasize the three leaves with the fewer droplets, or you could move lower and emphasize the three heavily covered leaves along the bottom of this view.

Nice to see your first post on NPN, Margaret! Isn’t the Lady Bird Johnson Grove wonderful? The wood sorrel in the redwoods makes such a delicate contrast to the towering trees. I love all the water drops here, especially the difference between the dense drops on the bottom leaves vs. just the few on the upper ones. I do get a feeling of delicacy from this.

Thank you very much for this suggestion. I will definitely give it a try.

Thank you!

1 Like

Thank you for the warm welcome and comments.

1 Like

Welcome to NPN, Margaret. This is a fine way to start off your posts. I really like the patterns here and the drops are awesome. That part of the country is gorgeous and I do like that grove. I think Mark has an interesting idea there and I could easily see a frame with the lightly dewed leaves in the middle and heavily dewed ones above and below.