Whispering Forest

![Whispering Forest]
Without Trunks

With trunks

Another image taken on my Fall colors trip a couple of weeks ago. With this image I was trying to create something a little bit different. This is not ICM. This is a reflection of aspen and pine trees in water when the wind was blowing just a little bit. I zoomed in with my 100-400 lens and focused on the water ripples. The image was upside down when taken knowing full well that I was going to flip it 180 degrees so that everything looked like a normal image with the exception of the blurry ripples throughout the scene. Since it was breezy and the water was not still, I used the wind and the ripples to my advantage. I also played with rotating some of these images only 45 degrees which I will share as well. It’s a completely different look. Very Abstract for sure.

Specific Feedback Requested

I actually included some of the aspen tree trunks on the left side of the image to give an indication of what this was. I also have an image without the tree trunks so I guess I’m wondering if the trunks are a distraction or if they give you a peak into what this image is about?
I also removed most of the blue tones along the top of the image and wonder how you feel about that?
There were green aspen that had not yet turned right next to full blown peak color aspen. Does it work for you or should I have stayed with just one color of aspen?
Anything else that works or doesn’t work?

Technical Details

Z9, ISO 500, 100-400mm lens @ 280mm, f/16, 1/125 second, hand held, manual exposure

2 Likes

David,

Wow, this is just gorgeous. Can’t say you could have had any better ripples in the water to give this just a wonderful, wonderful texture.

The only thing that could improve this… well, you pre-empted the suggestions and took care of it! The second image is just well, gorgeous. Oops, I already said that. Just interchange any number of superlatives…

Got nothing for ya - no nits or suggestions. Can’t even find anything to clone out, darn it.

Lon

1 Like

Just love this David. Beautiful. A great alternative to ICM images…better in my opinion.

The tree trunks vs no tree trunks…I prefer the second shot without trunks.

They give me two completely different feelings. Without tree trunks it is a wonderful abstract, and the bit of air on both sides of the small tree with yellow leaves provides a nice central resting place after exploring the image. With tree trunks…it adds some realism, but I feel that the trunks compete with that central tree for attention. Maybe that photo may look good as a vertical, cropped just to the left of the wee central tree. Cheers.

1 Like

Both images are absolutely love, David! Lovely soft painterly feel to both photos. Must admit, I also, prefer the second image. For me I like the simplicity if the second, while the first, as @Phil_G mentioned, give the scene some realism. Very nicely seen, captured and processed.

1 Like

I prefer the second image too, David. It has trunks at the bottom, but in no way do they distract, while those long ones in the first version do a little. I like very much the contrast of green and yellow leaves, and they are in a nice kind of balance with that small yellow tree between the two “sides”. The horizontal texture of the water also counterbalances the vertical tree lines. All in all, a beautiful photo.

1 Like

The second one is my favorite too, David. Well done.

1 Like

Well spotted and great comp David. Love the shimmer effect from the wind. Edit-2 is my favourite.

1 Like

David, I prefer the orienting effect of the trunks. Beautiful image. Something to be said for images before peak color.

1 Like

Thank you all for your comments. @Lon_Overacker, @Phil_G, @linda_mellor, @Mike_Friel, @David_Bostock, @AndreDonawa, @Mario_Cornacchione. I always appreciate the time it takes to leave a comment. Thanks
It sure seems like the consensus is to leave the image without the tree trunks. I get it. I like them both for different reasons but I think you guys are right. It’s a cleaner composition and also leaves a little bit of guessing as to what this abstract actually is. Thanks again.

1 Like

Hi David, both images convey abstract qualities to me so great job on these! I love the painterly aspects and colors. I think either one would like really nice as big prints.

1 Like

Hi David
Those tree trunks sure function like a good anchor, don’t they? I believe - and I could be terrible wrong - that most people accept better the image with the trunks because is more plausible; more identifiable.
For me the image without the trunks feels more pleasing, but I would be happy with any of those on my portfolio.
Very nice one(s).

1 Like

Lovely! No developing suggestions from me. I prefer the balance with no trunks. With trunks, my eye continually wants to go to the trunks and stay. My gaze effortlessly wanders the one without trunks and returns to the central yellow tree…which I also like centered instead of offset as it is in the “with trunks”.

1 Like

Great image. The green trees add to the interest. I prefer the one without the trunks - it is a more pleasant image to look at.

1 Like

Terrific feedback @Ola_Jovall, @Sean_Bagshaw, @joaoquintela, @Alfredo_Mora. I think the consensus is, No trunks. I appreciate it very much. It certainly provides more mystery and an easier path for the eye to roam. Thanks again, Everyone.