White Iris

I just received my new Canon 70-200 lens today, and it started raining. I had noticed this morning that this white Iris had bloomed it’s first bloom. I had saved it last year when the neighbor was going to clear out the area, so with his permission, dug it up and planted it in our flower garden. After the rain this evening I went out and tried the lens on it. Small crop for better composition. Edited in LR and Topaz AI Clear.

Specific Feedback Requested

Anything you can think of, I know I didn’t stack like some do, so hoping the point of focus was a good choice, and have enough DOF.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon 5D Mark IV, Canon 70-200 mm @ 200, manual settings f11, 1/160, ISO 320, HH.

Beautiful, Shirley. Love the detail you’ve gotten in the iris petals. Typically white is hard, at least for me, to expose for and still retain definition. The crop suits the flower nicely and the rain drops are a nice touch. Very nicely done.

1 Like

Wonderful picture, Shirley. I like the subdued BG. It sets off the beautiful moist White Iris. I think POF is the best.

1 Like

Hi Shirley,

I believe that you will have fun with your new lens. The shallow DOF looks good in this photo and the sharpness of the front petal is nice. White flowers are challenging and are perfect for a rainy day shot. Well done…Jim

1 Like

Very pretty!! I love the droplets – focus and DOF look good. I like the pleasing softness of the BG detail at the bottom, and I love the bud!

Although we don’t have the cold winters of much of the country, we do get some very cold nights and my iris are still sulking.

1 Like

Good subject where the water droplets enhance the image. The soft focus background sets off the iris nicely.

1 Like

Shirley, you did very well here. The flower and it’s drops stand out well and the sharpness is where in most needs to be. In my view, there’s a place and time for both stacking and not-stacking with this shot off why non-stacking will not disappear. In addition, it’s much easier to get a nice single shot than needing stable light, the minimal movement and the lots of patience that stacking requires. (Having said that, I’ll now post another stack… :grinning:)

1 Like

Shirley
Very gorgeous. Love the little drops on that iris.

Shirley: My apologies for being so late to this party. Really glad you rescued and adopted this beauty and a very nice capture. My only suggestions would be in presentation. I bumped the whites just a smidgeon and vignetted the corners to kind of put the flower in the spotlight. Great to have you shooting and posting. Looking forward to many more. >=))>

Thank you, Bill. I like what you did here. Nice improvement.