White-lined Sphinx Moth on Red Horse-chestnut + Repost for Crop

Recrop per suggestions

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

With a wingspan of 2½–3½ inches, this moth is seen in woodlands, fields, gardens, and suburbs. The adults often fly during daylight hours as well as in the night and are often found at lights. Because this moth can hover and visits flowers, many people mistake it for a hummingbird, and is one of several species referred to as a hummingbird moth. Adults fly from early April into November. Larvae burrow underground in order to metamorphose into adults. This one is feeding from a Red Horse-chestnut tree in my garden.

Specific Feedback

I know it’s a busy scene; too busy?

Technical Details

moth

Canon RF 100-500mm, handheld, processed in ACR and PSE 2020 for exposure and cropping. Topaz Denoise

1 Like

The moth is stunning! I just wish that I could see it better. Perhaps doing a closer crop and still leaving some of the flower is for contrast would bring more focus on the moth.

Hi Terry,
the moth looks fantastic. There are nice details in the body and I love the colors of the wings.

I agree with @Chris_Baird about cropping. I find the crossed branches at the bottom of the image a bit distracting. So I would crop quite a bit off the bottom of the image.

I agree about the cropping, Terry. Certainly the bottom, possibly a bit off the top - all the main interest is in the central band. And what a great scene that is! The way you caught the moth so we can see the flowers very well too - breathtaking!

I think the suggested crop would work well given where the main area of interest lies in the photo. Those wings are amazing and the slice of the flowers directly next to it tells the tale of life for one of these guys. The positioning and detail are really excellent.

Thanks @Chris_Baird @Jens_Ober @Mike_Friel and @Kris_Smith for your comments and observations. My logic for leaving so much of the plant was the Challenge of a garden scene, so I thought I should leave some garden. So much for my logic, right? I have re-cropped image and will repost. Comments welcome.

2 Likes

Hi Terry,
the rework looks better. The focus is now a little more on the moth and the flower.

But I think I would crop a little more.

But that’s my personal preference.
Your image looks good as it is.

2 Likes

Terry, how did you manage to get this moth to fly towards a flower with complimenting colors??? So cool! I actually like @Jens_Ober crop best, I think, as it seems to be all about the moth and the flower. Very nice.

Thanks @Shirley_Freeman. This tree is named Red Horse-chestnut, but in my yard the flowers are much more pink than red and, as you note, closely match the pink in the wings of this moth.

1 Like